Thread: Laparoscopy in private hospital?

Unhappy Laparoscopy in private hospital?

Hi everyone, I have been reading your postsfor quite a while now and have finally plucked up the courage to join in.

Been TTC for nearly 4 years now with no treatments as yet. Dr. strongly suggest Lap. She is linked to Sydney IVF and only does the lap at private hospitals. Does this mean I have to have it done there? How much does it normally cost?

I think it def. is the right thing to do as I have a blocked tube. Just looking for some advice.
    Thanks for any help!

If that is the only hospital that she works out of, then yes, you will have to have it there. I had a lap don in Dec 2008 at a private hospital and I posted what the costs were - I will find the post and link it here for you to give you an idea of what to expect.

Hi and welcome to BellyBelly.
    Do you have private health insurance? The surgery fees can be quite high, unfortunately.

I hap a lap last year - I also posted the costs somewhere, but I can't find the thread. From memory it was around $4000 out of pocket expenses as I didn't had PHI.

I found it! This is what is cost me to have my lap done

We have PHI with premium level cover, so my health fund paid for most of it but these were the amounts that it cost.
    $1,991.60 - Hospital (day procedure unit)
    $1,289.65 - My Gyno's costs
    $700 - Anaesthetist (fees depend on how long you're under for - I was under for nearly 1.5hrs)
    $162.05 - Pathology (cause anything they find they will send to pathology to see if it is endo or not etc)

$4,143,30 total. Of that I was out of pocket only $277 - $272 for the anaesthetist and $5 for the pathology. Our PHI paid for all bar $122.85 which was the pathology and medicare paid for $117.85 of that and I paid the $5.

Thanks ladies! I am currently waiting for a quote for each private hospital and freaking out a little. Should we do IVF before the lap? Should we not do the lap as we will struggle to afford the lap and just 1 cycle? My head is spinning! At least now I can try to put some sort of price on it.
    Many thanks xx

I think you should have the lap - if there is endo in there causing the problem, IVF may not be as successful as it could be. Plus having the lap might be all you need to be able to fall pg on your own. If it were me, I would be wanting to make sure that I gave myself the best possible chance of conception if I was going to have to spend a lot of money on IVF.

Your other alternative is to see a Gyno who will do it in the public system so you wont have to pay for it, but the risk of that is being put at the mercy of the public hospital waiting lists, so you could have to wait several months before having the lap and I'm guessing you want to get started on this as soon as you can.

I would do the lap before starting IVF. As Trill says, there could be issues they find durig the lap that could affect your chances with IVF - there may even be something they can treat in the mean time.
    Maybe look into getting it done in the public system. All the best