Thread: Laporoscopy/Hysteroscopy

kew Guest

Default Laporoscopy/Hysteroscopy

Hi all,

I am a newbie. I have been TTC nearly 4 years. Was advised I had unexplained fertility, but a routine ultrasound prior to starting IVF showed I had endo, something blocking my left tube, a tilted uterus, a heart shape uterus which all are getting amended in surgery in a few weeks.

Just wanted to know how you found the surgery. I am freaking myself out about it! I am also getting my hopes up that this surgery will be the answer for me and I will have BFP in no time at all

Hi Kew and welcome to BB!
    Sorry to hear you have had a tough time TTC and are having to have all that surgery done. I hope you recover really quickly so you get that BFP soon!. I have only had a lap. done to check everything out before IVF and didnt have anything repaired while they were in there so I cant offer a lot of advice... I had bloating and gas and bruising around the incisions. Not much else really. I just had day surgery and went home to sleep it off in the arvo. I think I had 2days off work and then went back but not doing any heavy work till after stitches came out. Hope your recovery is as easy and quick.
    Good luck in your journey. Hey, come join us in LTTTC&assisted, we are a friendly bunch!
    Sazz

Hi Kew

Sorry to hear it has taken so long to find what your trouble with TTC may be. Good luck on this next part of your journey. I am a newbie too and also have endo. I had two laps/hyst last year. I was so glad to have them and actually get the endo sorted so I could start TTC through IVF as soon as possible.

The ops were fine for me. I was more worried about the anesthetics than what they may do during the ops. This was a false worry as the drugs were great and I felt absolutely fine, relaxed and safe. I was sore afterwards and had to rest up for at least a week. I also had quite a bit of bleeding for several days. There is also the possibility of referred shoulder pain from the remaining gas but that seemed to ease after a couple of days.

Both my ops were long and involved but the second one got (hopefully) all my cysts and endo growths which meant a green light for progressing IVF which we started a few months after the last op.

I wish you the best and remember you can ask your surgeon and anesthetist any question no matter how silly they may seem to you.

Oh yeah, one problem I had before the op was they gave me a disgusting solution to take the night before to clear my bowels before the op, but it didn't work however they still went ahead with the op and it was fine (and it worked a treat the following day!).

cheers
    dusty

Kew, best of luck and I hope the procedure does the trick for you. Think of it as starting with a clean slate.

I had a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy at the same time at the end of 2004. Anaesthetics and procedures are so good these days you will be surprised how quickly you recover. I really only felt woozy for about a day or so and a little bit bloated for about a week afterwards but otherwise it was fine. I also had endometriosis diagnosed and removed so enjoyed painfree periods afterwards. What a bonus!

I was on a tight timeframe for conceiving after that but did my first IVF cycle and became pregnant on the first try within six months of the operation.

Hi Kew I had a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy last year. I too was quite a bit freaked out by the idea. Although i didn't have anything repaired while under (they didn't find anything there) I didn't have much pain after the op - the most uncomforable thing was the gas that was trapped inside but it only lasted about a week. If your worried i recomend asking for a pre-op sedative, I had one and it was great to kill the nerves (they had to wake me up to move me onto the op table!)

*las* Guest

Welcome Kew and I hope this proves to be the solution and you soon get that elusive BFP!

I have had 4 laps (plus the full dye/hys). I have PCOS and Endo. Most of the laps have been clean outs, to keep things going for TTC, the only big one I had was when I had most of my left ovary removed due to a huge Endometrial cyst (this one was a 2 day hospital stay).

For most part, I recover well, and am up and home the same day and other than a little cramping and spotting, feel fine the next day AF generally arrives spot on 28 days later.

Hope the surgery is successful and without problems!

Hi Kew
    I had the same thing done in december after ttc for 2 yaers with not one pregnancy. They found a partially blocked tube but couldnt tell me why it was. so three months later with unexplained infertility we started the IVF process. One of my friends had this done and fell staright away after 5years ttc and then decided not to use contraception again and when her first was only 3 mnths old she discovered she was pregnant with number two. So there is hope for us all. Good luck and I hope you are just as lucky as my friend.

Hi Kew - your message caught my attention, as apart from having a completely retroverted uterus, my uterus also 'bends' to the left... so was just wondering about your tilted uterus, and what this means exactly. I have been ttc for nearly 2 years, and have unexplained infertility, and although i have been told that the positioning of my uterus is nothing to worry about, it is often on my mind. I have had the dye test, which showed normal right tube, but blocked left.... so am preparing to have laparoscopy too.... so many unknowns! It gets a little frustrating, but i really try to stay positive Wishing you all the best, and for a BFP soon!!

Hi Theresep
    Maybe now that the dye has gone through you might get your BFP really soon as well. Good luck in the lap watch out for that gas pain afterwards its a killer. I will be thinking of you.

Hi Kew ,

welcome to BB ..I hope your TTC journey ends very soon with a

We had been TTC for 6months when I started having tests as my Dr just suggested we should check it all out. Turned out I had one completely blocked tube so it was suggested I had a Laporoscopy/Hysteroscopy to see what the issue was. Turned out I had endo which had blocked one of my tubes due to scaring ..the dr burned off all the endo he could find. The operation was quick and I only suffered minor discomfort afterwards.

We were about to start down the insemination path as the Dr said due to Endo , only having one tube and DH's spermies being a little lazy . Anyway waiting for my next cycle to start I feel pregnant unassisted!!!!. I am in the process now of speaking with my Dr again as I believe I will need another "cleanup" to fall pregnant with out second.

For us ..it was the BEST thing we ever did.

I hope you are as sucessful .

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread, I have just been booked in for a lap/hys 24/05 and feel a little better knowing its not a hugely terrible process.
    Hopefully they'll just make sure all is clean and nothing serious needs to be done while I'm there.
    I appreciate all your stories, it has helped my peace of mind for the impending surgery.

Just a quick question regardig the dye in fallopian tubes procedure? What is that procedure actually called?

Hysterosalphingogram - Try this - this is an xray version of dye in fallopian tubes??
    Just got it off google coz I've not had that one!!

kew Guest

Thank you so much for your replies! It is much appreciated

Theresep: not sure of the technical terms but I have a pre op on the 30th of May so will find out then and let you know.