thread: Long-term TTC & Assisted Conception April - May 2010

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    May 2008
    Toowoomba
    77

    Hey guys,

    Just jumping in for a sec to wish everyone well on their journey at the moment. I am on a cycle break inbetween stim and stim cycles as my crappy, day 3, fragmented, solo, embie (unsurprisingly) didnt make it. Trying not to think about IVF at all im my gap cycle, but just couldn't help jumping in to take a peek at how all you guys are doing!

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Apr 2010
    Gold Coast
    100

    Hi Ladies,

    Just a quick note to let you all know that I've just heard that of my 6 eggies, only 2 fertilized despite using ICSI. Apparently the largest egg distintegrated during the insertion. The embryologist thinks that egg was from my "huge" follicle, which was already at 22 mm 4 days before EPU. It must have been too mature. She's still keeping an eye on the other 3 to see if any of them fertilize late, but it sounds like that is not very likely.

    In the meantime, we've decided to move me up from a day 5 transfer to a day 3. The embryologist says that the thought is to try to culture the second embryo to blast. But, as I think things through, this leads me to a number of questions. First, if it gets to blast, can I transfer the 2nd embie then (ie, do two separate transfers in the one cycle -- one on day 3 and one on day 5)? Or do I *have* to freeze it (with the attendant risk of it dying during the freeze/thaw process)? Secondly, I was going to only transfer 1 embryo (assuming at least one survives to day 3), but now I'm thinking that, if they both live that long, maybe we should go ahead and transfer both of them at day 3 instead of playing around. Decisions, decisions! Any thoughts appreciated . . .
    KitKat72

  3. #3
    2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

    Apr 2009
    3,750

    KitKat72 I have never heard them doing two transfers a few days apart. In theory it sounds like a good idea although I wonder if there is any chance that implabting the blastie could jeopadise the 1st transfer if it was starting to implant. Doesn't the blastie go into the uterus with some fluid so perhaps that could know the other out of the nest or something althhough by day5 it probably shouldn't have implanted. I can see decisions, decisions. Worth asking but I think they would probably say no. It would be good to know there reason behind not doing it anyway wouldn't it? I wish you have a few more fertilize although ti does only take one. Hopeing the two that are looking good now continue to grow and divide and be your future bubbas.

    Leabie for your hatching emby been put back home. And for your 5 little snow bubs.

    Mummawannabe hope everything goes smoothly for your next cycle and results in a sticky BFP.

    Me probably bringing forward IVF till July/August now. Will see the Gyno in another 6weeks and see about starting. DH keeps changing his mind. He wanted to wait but when AF arrived last time he said no he doesn't. I think he the Gyno is suppose to put me on the pill first to make it all happen on a specific date as IVF Australia apparently only operates on certain days. I guess thats when the wait will really begin. I am looking forward to starting but nervous as about EPU and the following few days after waiting to see if we have anything to transfer. And wondering how much it will hurt having ovaries full of larger follies. Even one follie I can feel for a week before O what will it be like with lots more in there?

  4. #4
    Registered User

    Mar 2010
    38

    hi Girls,

    kitkat - your situation sounds so similar to mine recently. I have had numerous ICSI procedures. My last cycle produced 11 eggs of which only two fertilised. I must say I was devastated. I had only ever had blastie transfers both fresh and frozen, one at a time, for no result. Because of my poor fertilisation rate my clinic this time suggested I have a day three transfer. With my two eggs they said one looked good at day three and the other didn't and was not likely to progress to the freezer. So we had the same big decision to make - transfer one or two. Eventually we decided to transfer them both. I couldn't bring myself to give up all together on one knowing it was unlikely to make it past day three but........ nobody knew for sure. And almost two weeks ago my test confirmed it had worked. I wont know how many stuck until my scan in a few weeks. What I hope to convey, after the toughest cycle emotionally we had success, after we had almost given up. Good luck with your decision kitkat, go with your gut feeling. fingers crossed for you. x

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Oct 2008
    200

    Just a quick one ...

    Hi Kitkat,

    It is tough when faced with a decision like yours. In regard to your question, I haven't heard of them doing 2 separate ET's in the one cycle.

    Everyone is different, and you have probably already considered:

    How comfortable you would be with having twins
    Time/age and financial constraints
    Your clinics freeze/thaw processes

    Although blastocyst is becoming more prevelant, don't forget, many bubs have been and continue to be conceived with 3 day embies.

    That's the tough thing about this whole process, we are all in different bodies and different situations, but I hope you are able to reach a decision you are comfortable with. your emby/ies continue to thrive.

    To everyone else, Hope you are doing well....

  6. #6
    BellyBelly Life Subscriber

    Jan 2006
    11,633

    Kitkat, that's a really tough one. This is your first cycle right? If it doesn't work out, hopefully the next one will be better - often the first is a bust as they try to get things right.
    I don't really know, as I haven't been in your situation, but just off the top of my head I'd be inclined to transfer both if they make it to day 3. The whole freeze and thaw things seems a bit iffy (and expensive) just for one embryo.
    At my clinic, for fresh cycles, women aged 40+ (I know you're not there yet!) seem to have much better success with day-3 embryos anyway, so I think that's something else to consider as you get to the other end of the 30s.
    Hope your little embryos do the right thing

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Aug 2008
    Hill End Vic
    476

    gday guys quick post as am meant to be going to get cows and calves in the nurse called with yesterdays resuilts from the bt my E2 levels are at 1500 which is way way too high they are meant to be lower than 200 so am now on double the amount of synarel to see if that works am having another bt on monday if it hasn't dropped then am havig an u/s to see if I have a cyst am torn between being hopeful and heartbroken at this point in time as there is a possiblity our cycle could be cancelled.
    has anyone else had this and then their levels have dropped cheers