Thread: Low serum progesterone?????

Default Low serum progesterone?????

When I suggested to my FS that he write me a script for Progesterone cream, this is what he said

"The low serum progesterone is an indicator of ovulation.Supplementation with progesterone cream would not help this. It is used more for luteal phase support after ovulation had occurred."

Is anyone able to explain what that means. I know I have low progesterone and a luteal Phase deficiency, so it sounds like it would be perfect.

I'm really confused
    thanks

I am no expert but i would take it to mean that low serum progesterone could result in someone not actually ovulating therefore if they didn't ovulate then there is no point using the cream. If one does indeed ovulate but it is found they have low progesterone prior to "O" (as judged by known preffered levels) then progesterone may help with this luteal phase defect.

So, if you know that you do ovulate (temp taking, 7DPO blood test etc) and you know you have a short luteal phase (less than 12 days between "O" and AF) then the cream may help. I have to confess that I used it for the same reason and found that for me it didn't really make a difference. But, everyone is different.

But you have to establish that you actually do ovulate first or else the cream won't be of any help.

Hope this has been of some help to you and I apoligise if I have been too confusing.

Best wishes
    Debbie

Thanks Debbie,

I don't think I have strong ovulation, so maybe that is why he is saying it wont help me. Your a champ...

thanks

Just realised that I said "low progesterone priorto "O"". I meant after "O".

Hope I didn't confuse anyone.
    Debbie