Thread: Male Fertility Drug - Menevit

Default Male Fertility Drug - Menevit

As some of you know my DH has dodgy sperm or to not be so harsh and more technical - triple sperm defect (OK that sounds just as bad). Anyway triple sperm defect means he has low sperm count, bad morphology (shape and motility) and damaged DNA structure.

FS recommended ICSI for us as our solution to conceive. He was also instructed to improve his antioxidants by drinking black tea (4 p/day), 3 glasses of freshly squeezed OJ p.day. No smoking and no alcohol - if any max of 3 glasses of red wine p/week. Daily ejaculating. Doesnt sound too hard when you have to compare it to all the drugs you have to do on IVF. Well anyway lets say something that DH hasn't managed to stick to it entirely, but willing to keep trying (in his own way). I know there are lots of different therapies out there.

Anyway in doing our research found that there is a drug called Menevit which will be distributed by Bayer (and starting to be rolled out across Aust).Quick background is that at Dr from Repromed in SA came up with the drug (includes a whole bunch of antioxidants and vitamins etc). There is a fair bit of info on google if you type in Menevit. They have been trialling it for the past 3 years and have gotten some good results. Esp with women undergoing IVF that end up with low quality embies (me) when grown out to blasty or miscarry. It seems like a dream come true based on outcomes of trial (well rates of conception / carrying a child increased) and we are willing to try it.

Just wondering if anyone was part of this clinical trial or have used Menevit and what there thoughts are. I believe there are some chemists that stock it (mainly in SA and it aint that expensive - not when you consider the cost of IVF and all the other alternative therapies that go along with it).

Keen to try whatever to improve our chances and have that BFP!

Here is an article on Menevit I thought I would paste in:

A randomised control trial examining the effect of an antioxidant (Menevit) on pregnancy outcome during IVF-ICSI treatment.Tremellen K, Miari G, Froiland D, Thompson J.
    Repromed, Dulwich, SA 5065, Australia. [email protected]

BACKGROUND: Evidence has accumulated supporting the role of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in the pathogenesis of sperm dysfunction among men with infertility. Damage to sperm DNA by ROS can lead to failure of conception, miscarriage or potentially even childhood cancer. The objective of this study was to examine the effect of male antioxidant treatment on embryo quality and pregnancy outcome during in vitro fertilisation-intracytoplasmic sperm injection (IVF-ICSI) treatment. METHODS: Sixty couples with severe male factor infertility were enrolled in a prospective randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Male participants were randomly assigned to take either one capsule per day of the Menevit antioxidant or an identical in appearance placebo for three months prior to their partner's IVF cycle. The primary outcome was cleavage stage embryo quality and the secondary outcomes were oocyte fertilisation rate, pregnancy rates and treatment side-effects. Approval by the local Human Research Ethics Committee was obtained prior to the commencement of this study. RESULTS: The antioxidant group recorded a statistically significant improvement in viable pregnancy rate (38.5% of transferred embryos resulting in a viable fetus at 13 weeks gestation) compared to the control group (16% viable pregnancy). No significant changes in oocyte fertilisation rate or embryo quality were detected between the antioxidant and the placebo groups. Side-effects on the Menevit antioxidant were rare (8%) and mild in nature. CONCLUSIONS: The Menevit antioxidant appears to be a useful ancillary treatment that significantly improves pregnancy rates in couples undergoing IVF-ICSI treatment for severe male factor infertility.
    Last edited by Mon; March 27th, 2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Pasting in an article

Ack! I meant to ask my FS about this today, and forgot. Along with the other question of when IVM is likely to be available here.

Today my FS insisted that DH take 3g of vitamin C today, and folate. It's nice to finally see them doing something for DH. We have low count, bad morphology (mutant sperm!) and bad motility, but we're ok with DNA fragmentation. ICSI is one thing, and it's great that it's there for us - but if we're going to spend all this time and energy into getting the best eggs out of me, then I think it's only fair that our DH's do their bit as well in making sure we get the best sperm out of them.

I've been waiting for menevit for a while - I think DH would feel happier taking it instead of the folate tablets I have left over from before I switched to elevit.

BW

I'm interest in finding out more about it as well.
    We have male factor also, Murray has very low sperm motility, but morphology and count okay. I wonder if this would be any good for him?
    Will have to ask at my appointment on Monday.

Well did some research and apparently Bayer still to roll this out. However National Pharmacies is sellling it. There seem to be a lot of pharmacies in VIC and SA, however only one in NSW - in Kellyville. I rang yest and they had 2 left so I asked them to put it aside and DH and I trekked all the way out there yesterday after work and bought 4 months worth. We'll give it a shot - anything to improve DH sperm. I agree BW only fair that our DH do something as well!
    Dont know if Kellyville is anywhere near you BW, but they did say that they would be getting more in stock in the next week, so might be worth calling them and they can put it aside for you when it comes in.
    I will be seeing my FS on Monday so will see what he says. Bec cant remember when looked at the site whether they had pharmacies in WA but check out their website. GL with your appt on Mon - let me know how it goes! I saw on your signature that u didnt make it to transfer! I am so sorry to hear hun! I hope that your FS has a plan of attack for you!
    Mon
    Last edited by Mon; March 29th, 2008 at 11:06 AM.

I thought it was just a male version of Elevit??

Default Catalyst program on Menevit

Mon hun, it only just clicked with me that I saw a program on Catalyst about this new men's fertility pill invented by researchers in Adelaide. Which is now marketed as Menevit. Here is the transcript (i think you can stream the story too), it is quite inspiring especially the result for Peter and Mary. I hope this is something that will help you and DH out.

xx

Yep, Kellyville is quite close to where I am. I think for now we'll go with the vitamin C and folate but I'd be interested to know what else is in menevit. We've already got the vitamin C and DH is currently using the folate tablets I stopped using when I started taking elevit.

I saw the catalyst program. It was one of the few times I've ever seen it. I also saw the little promo they did on their acupuncture and fertility story for next week. Do they often have this sort of story, or have I just fluked the bits I've seen?

BW

BW, thanks for the heads up for next week, ABC seem to have lots of infertility programs across radio, tv, and news. Go the ABC!
    i saw a news article on ABC website and it said the tablets have vitamins C and E, folate, zinc, lycopene and garlic oil in them. if you Google Dr Kelton Tremellen and male infertility you can find lots more info on the research. for a really technical insight there is a paper here by this researcher.

slyder Guest

Mon, I'm part of the trial. Last time we went to see the FS (early March) she had a few bottles lying about so she basically said here you go, give these a whirl. So I've got a three month supply for free and am taking one a day.

In my case, my first two SAs showed crap morph., poor motility and good count. The third one I had done a little bit later showed everything normal, except the morph. which was still crap. I'm not really sure if this treatment can help someone like me with one primary issue, but it's worth a shot for sure.

oooh like the sound of this product
    anyone got some from anywhere in VIC? and how much was it??
    odette

Dusty, thanks so much for the info. Just watched the segment! Very inspiring indeed! I have also just printed off that paper and will be shoving it under my FS's nose this arvo when we go see him! You're a champ!
    Hey Slyder, great to hear you are trialling it! Let me know how it goes! I say anything is worth a shot! At least your clinic has given it to you for free.
    Odette I think its around $80 for 3 months worth. I didnt even look at the cost just got them and put it on VISA! Its a drop in the ocean when you compare to everything else. Check out National Pharmacies Online and there seem to be heaps in VIC and hopefully one close to you that you can call and ask.
    Be interested to see what my FS thinks!
    Speak soon
    Mon

Hi ladies
    I recently heard of this product too. I am trying to track it down in Qld, but the only reference I've heard to it is from a friend who is has had an appt with a FS who gave her a bottle. DH has high ASA and a lowish count. I'd just like to give us every possible chance.