Thread: Naturopathy update

Default Naturopathy update

Well I may not be pregnant yet nor have I had a second period but I have lost weight!!! I have not been able to lose weight since moving to England 8 years ago! I piled on the pounds while over there and got to 78 kilos. Since then the most I have lost is a kilogram. This was with using Metformin, going to the gym, cabbage soup diet and so on and so on. Now in four weeks I have lost 4 kilos! I attribute this to the diet the naturopath gave me and the regular walking and bits of jogging I have been doing.

I have a year to go before IVF so I am going to see if that 'PCOS women are meant to conceive in a famine' theory is right! I am obviously not going to starve to famine proportions but I am going to see if I can continue to lose weight to my healthy BMI (65-70kg) and see if i get regular cycles then.

Way to go, Poppy!

Pretty much the same thing here - the metformin has done stuff all apart from help me lose some weight. I sat at 65kg for years, then after a winter on prednisone I expanded to 70kg... stopped taking the pill and I jumped up to 73kg. I'm now back down to 68-69kg, fitting into all my old clothes, with the help of the metformin, but I have absolutely no illusions that losing the weight will do anything about restoring any sort of normal menstrual cycle for me. As a size 10 teenager I never had a normal menstrual cycle, and I just can't see it being different for a size 12 adult. At least I'm no longer in an overweight category for my height (although it would be nice to lose a couple more kg) so doctors are less likely to try that line with me now.

Well done on the weight loss again. Really hoping that it does the trick for you.

BW

Quote Originally Posted by butterfly_warrior View Post
    Way to go, Poppy!

Pretty much the same thing here - the metformin has done stuff all apart from help me lose some weight. I sat at 65kg for years, then after a winter on prednisone I expanded to 70kg... stopped taking the pill and I jumped up to 73kg. I'm now back down to 68-69kg, fitting into all my old clothes, with the help of the metformin, but I have absolutely no illusions that losing the weight will do anything about restoring any sort of normal menstrual cycle for me. As a size 10 teenager I never had a normal menstrual cycle, and I just can't see it being different for a size 12 adult. At least I'm no longer in an overweight category for my height (although it would be nice to lose a couple more kg) so doctors are less likely to try that line with me now.

Well done on the weight loss again. Really hoping that it does the trick for you.

BW
    I understand fully what you mean by having no illusions. I also was thin as a teenager and never had a proper cycle. But if this weight loss doesn't work then I would love to actually say to the doctors 'well I've Iost all this weight and I am still not getting a cycle so what are you going to say now!!!??' However my naturopath thinks my weight gain would be from all the experiments with all the different BCPs they tried on me since I was 16. So I am hoping that maybe I never gave my adolescent body a chance to have a proper cycle by itself when I was thin so it can't hurt to see if as a thin adult (which I have never been!) I get a proper cycle.

BTW it is really good to be able to talk to someone who has the same 'non-typical' PCOS as me!

I see your point, Poppy. Hopefully that will help me find the motivation to lose these last few kg.

What frustrates me about my PCOS being so non-typical is that for all intents and purposes it looks like it should be mild and therefore easy to fix... but it's just not! Mine seems to be much more stubborn than some of the worst typical cases!

BW

I know my 'mild' PCOS means I have never had a regular cycle. In fact I have gone eyars without a period. I also had no reaction at all to clomid and then when I went onto FSH injections I went follie crazy on them. So much so that each FSH cycle had to be cancelled. I mean for mild PCOS surely I should be having just moderate reactions to drugs not extremes!

:eek: You sound so much like me that it's kinda scary, Poppy!

BW

...and we are both teachers!!

I was going to suggest we may be twins separated at birth... but I'm not (quite!) 32 yet... Maybe they gave us false dates of birth to stop us discovering the evil plot...

Hehe... in a silly mood tonight! What do you teach, Poppy? High school maths here.

BW

I started off as a Secondary Japanese teacher then retrained to be a Primary teacher in the UK and since I have been back have been a Secondary SOSE and History teacher! Now I am just supply teaching because all the rumours of Queensland being desperate for teachers are not true.