Thread: Pregnancy supplements

Question Pregnancy supplements

Hi guys,
    I was wondering if any of you LTers are taking pregnancy vitamins or supplements.
    I have been taking folic acid since we started TTC (hah, over 1000 of those little pills!!), but that's all.
    I have seen Elevit etc in the chemists but they cost so much and I wonder if it's worth it after so long TTC. I wonder if I can just wait until I finally get a BFP and then start taking them then.

Jo

I felt the same with TTC Jo. Maybe you can just take normal multi vitamins? They are probably chreaper for you

Hi there Jo!

My FS told me to take elevit! Its a bit expensive but so's IVF- so what the hell!

Elevit here as well.

Just folate here... My FS didn't say anything about anything else. Heck, he didn't even mention the folate, there's just item number 4 on the check list before starting a cycle - are you still taking your folate?

I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing it wrong!

BW

My FS is big on Elevit - even has my DH on it!!

Oh, I must be coming up to my 1000th pill soon as well!!!

Yes, it does seem like a waste of money when you don't know if or when you will get pregnant. But the healthier you are, the more likely it is going to happen and going to stick as well, so it's hard for DH and I to stop popping when there's even a little bit of hope.

If you can get to a chemist warehouse / discount chemist, they are much cheaper, and it might not seem like such a waste.

Kotare,
    I do think it's important to supplement when you are TTc. Yes it does get expensive but I believe it's almost impossible to get all of our dietary needs from the foods we eat. Our soil in Australia is depleted in a number of important nutrients (Selenium and Zinc are high on that list and essential for ttc). Iodine is another element that is being found to be depleted in many women.

For me a supplement is a bit like an insurance policy. I try to eat really well ( I personally follow an "almost" organic diet) however, I don't always eat as well as I should... Folic acid has been found to be very important for pregnant and ttc women. Not just for the help it gives to the developing neural tube but also for its affect on dna. Folic acid should always be taken with b6 and b12 for the best affect though.
    It is my belief that your partner should also take the same. It takes an ovum and a sperm to make a baby so both parts need to be healthy (I believe!)
    Good luck with you journey may a be yours very soon...

Thanks for all the replies - You are all so positive, which is great. You've kind of inspired me to go out and get some supplements. I guess it's not going to do me any harm and it might just do some good, whether i'm UTD or not.
    Who cares about the money - we don't smoke, we don't drink (much) - supplements can be my daily extravagance

Hey kotare,
    I LOVE ELEVIT!!! I couldnt recommend them highly enough!! they were so great before, during and after my pregnancy.. I know what you mean about expensive but soooo worth it.... I was never involved with assisted conception but I would say get them ASAP
    Good luck with everything and god bless you with baby dust and sticky vibes!!
    xoxoxox

Hi,
    I take Elevit too
    SAM

gina Guest

I take blackmores pregnancy supplements but i have heard that elevit is alot better. The concentration of vitamins is a little stronger in elevit than what i am taking but it is still over the recommended dosage. My doc said that its much of a muchness.

Wishing you all the stickiest pg ever

xoxox Gina

can anyone tell me the reccommend amount of folate to take when TTC? I have only been taking 1 pill of Pregnancy Blackmores for almost 2 years now, and just realise it may not be enough folate..

Runnermum,
    Blackmores recommend 2 of their pregnancy vitamins daily. I believe that recently the RDI of folate for breastfeeding and pregnant women in Australia was increased to 500mcgs. Previously it was 400mcgs. I am not sure if the 500mcgs RDI has been released but I know that it will be very soon if it hasn't already been.

In Europe the RDI of folate for pregnant and breastfeeding women is 800mcgs. Many women who see a FS are on much higher doses.
    For example I am on 5mgs due to recurrent miscarriage.

i have always taken womens iron plus which has folate, but i started elevit about 6 weeks ago and i feel awesome!!! im prone to being aneamic and now my iron levels are fantastic. in perth we have Gregs Pharmacy which sells elevit in the 100 packs for $55, dont know if you have those guys over there though. my chemist charged me a whopping $30 for 30 tablets!!!so maybe shop around a bit for prices. Good Luck

leckerbecca Guest

Ithink how much folate you take may depend on your circumstances so you should check with your Dr? I've been told by my IVF Dr to take 1000 /day which is equal to 4 Blackmore's Gold Capsules.

Smile TTC soon

Hi i am taking eviting , Thought it would be great because of my age. I have heard great things about it.

I was taking the Blackmores supplements (with extra folate as well), but have recently changed to Elevit. My Ob said it was up to me, but he recommends Elevit.

I would definitely recommend it, I feel heaps better since I switched (although I've had to hit the prunes as it has more iron!!!!).

I think it would be a rather good personal extravagance . Good luck with TTC!