Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Progesterone Pessaries

Default Question about Progesterone Pessaries

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can share their experience with me. This is my fourth IVF transfer but my first using progesterone pessaries. I fell pregnant on my first IVF cycle but lost the baby at 9 weeks. All transfers since then have been BFN. My last transfer I had a progesterone blood test which showed slighty too low progesterone levels so my FS put me on 400mg pessaries twice a day for this TWW.

My blood test is this Friday and I have read that progesterone pessaries will delay your AF, and so far no bleeding - I usually would have started to spot by now. My question is really about the side effects of these pessaries and how to distinguish between these and pregnancy symptoms. I've felt nauseous/queasy for the last four days and it seems to be getting worse - it does feel very similar to when i was last pregnant. I've had a bit of cramping on and off and slighty sore boobs. All of these things are listed as symptoms on the pessaries information though!! I did not have these symtoms when I first started using the pessaries, they have come on in the last 5 or so days, but are not constant.

Anyone had these symptoms while on pessaries and what was the outcome? I'd really appreciate anyone who can share their experience. I really don't want to get my hopes up 'cos it's too painful...

thanks,

Infinity

Hi Infinity,
    Wishing you the best of luck for your BT on Friday. I can't say if progesterone mimics pregnancy symtoms having never had a BFP, but I have seen lots of woman say it does. Everyone says 'ignore all symptoms', as frustrating as it is. For me however, progesterone never delays AF, no matter how much support I have, and I have had up to 4 x pessaries a day. I hope the rest of the week speeds by for you and ends with a BFP. Good luck.

Infinity...I had the same question when I was first pregnant...my fertility nurse reminded me that it is the HcG that gives the preg symptoms not the prog...prog will hold off any bleeding and keep the lining nice and rich for your embie to snuggle in. I stayed on the pessaries until 10 weeks and then slowly weaned off them. Good luck hun!!!

unfortunately progesterone can mimic a lot of pg symptoms - raised temp, the cramping in your abdomen - in some people, if they're sensitive to the meds, if can even cause nausea!

it SUCKS that you cant say what is from progesterone and what is from pg - but yes, many of us have been through TWW on the pessaries and not been able to tell one way or another if a pregnancy has occurred cos you feel the same either way. HCG doesn't start to impact you until later on when it is in higher numbers - the progesterone is responsible for most of what you feel very early in pregnancy....

Thanks ladies for your replies and being so quick with them. My brain is telling me that all the 'symptoms' I have are due to the pessaries but my heart hopes I'm pregnant this time as is always the case we just don't know until the BT or AF..... Will continue to wait and swing wildly back and forth between being positive and negative. Thanks for sharing and the well wishes. Much appreciated
    Last edited by infinity; March 17th, 2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: fix spelling

Well, this morning i went for my BT following ET to check prog levels which were 300, but the funny thing is that while i was gone my dog got into the bathroom and into the bin and i found her chewing on a used pessary. Eeeewwwwww.
    Had to call the vet and check for problems and explain exactly what my pup was eating. Slightly embarrassed but at least when it was all okay i got a good giggle out of it and it momentarily distracted me from my TWW.

Oh no EmmaPenguin! at least the dog will be ok and you got a giggle out of it. Best of luck for the rest of your TWW and hope it ends in a BFP for you.

Baby Dreamtime I'll be keeping everything crossed for you for the 26th.

Ellie & Briggsy's Girl you both give me hope with your personal stories. Thanks

I need advice from all you prog pessaries experts please

I am taking 3 a day of prog 400, and ever since I started yesterday, I have had cramps in my uterus and bottom, they were shooting up into my tummy. I rang the nurses and she wasnt much help, said she hasnt heard of the pess causing cramping etc, I have taken two panadol and that seems to have eased it, but I wonder what all this cramping is and as its quite uncomfy, and still happening . I dont feel like I need to go to the hospital at this stage, I just wonder if you guys hace had these symptoms...

Your advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi WLAB, I normally have a very similar experience with prog pessaries (and crinone), they do cause me all sorts of cramping, pinching feeling. I just checked the information on my prog pessiaries and it says that a very common side effect is abdominal cramping. Though in saying that you did get quite a few eggs at EPU and would be at risk of OHSS, are you having any of the other sypmtoms related to OHSS. Please take this very seriously, if you get any worse and your cramping goes from cramps to pain make sure you ring your FS/nurse again. I hope this settles down for you and wishing you all the best for your TWW. Big hugs

Thank you Baby DT, I am glad (sorry) I am not the only one. It just makes me wonder how could an embryo burrow in with this cramping and pinching going on? I hope my FS calls me after the nurse speaks to her, and I will see what she says about ohss, I dont think I have it, the symptoms would of been more extreme by now.

Exciting times for you, with BT coming up, I hope this is the one for you xx

Hi wouldloveabubba,

My last TWW was my first on prog pessaries, I had some very mild cramping but that was it, nothing like you describe. Unfortunately BFN for me. I had mild OHSS on my first IVF cycle and did have cramping like you describe, but I also had severe bloating and some weight gain (OHSS). I got a BFP that cycle ( I lost the baby at 9 weeks but we now think that may have been due to having low progesterone and not knowing about it - nothing to do with the support beforehand or the mild OHSS). Just my experiences. I think things sound promising for you.

Take care of yourself and if you are worried please see your nurses or go to the hospital.

The cramping and pinching shouldn't effect your little embie doing it's thing. Best of luck, I hope you get your BFP.

Hi Infinity,

I saw your posts and can relate totally to your progesterone issues!! I myself have just had a mighty blow today. I was in my 6th TWW and started bleeding (very lightly) on day 5pt?? Which is very early....by day 6pt it was a bit darker so I rang the nurses. They got me in today and did a blood test...my progesterone was 9?? Very odd as I am on 400g a day of progesterone pessaries. My doctor called with the results and he was just as puzzled as I was.......I am hoping this is a once off but he said sometimes the body doesn't absorb the drugs. This hasn't happened in the past I have had dipping levels but never that low. Totally frustrated as my blastocyst was a AA!!! Back to see the dr on Monday with hopefully some options on how we can tackle my next FET!!

Jodz.. Welcome to BBelly . Sorry to hear your progesterone is low, and that your ttc journey has been hard, for lack of a better word. I hope your next appointment you will find some answers and a protocol that will work for you. What is ICis ?

I am seeing FS tommorow, and it's interesting to note, that I spoke to the pharmasist, and he said 2 Prog Pess a day is the same as two crinone a day. So for extra progesterone support we need the 3 tablets a day, Baby DT, you mentioned you had 4 a day, and still breakthrough bleeds. It really makes me wonder what is the optimum Prog Support is in the LP following ET? I can never make it to BT.

I would be interested to know what unusual Prog Support any of you ladies have had that has allowed you to reach BT, if not, to be so lucky as a bfp.

And the costs involved; In Melb it's $95.00 for 5 days support with 3 supps a day of Progesterone.

I made the decision after talking to the chemist to pick up my crinone anyway, so I have enough on store to use for LP support in future treatments, as Crinone is more expensive than prog pess
    Last edited by Bengal; April 1st, 2009 at 07:30 PM.

Hi wouldloveabubba,

I just realised I had written ICIS instead of ICSI....oops!! Thanks for your kind words...I have been struggling this week with what has happened. When everything goes pear shaped and the dr is even saying I am not sure what happened you start to doubt a pregnancy will ever happen. The more cycles and heartache you go through it gets harder and harder to keep staying positive. I thought joining BBelly might be a nice way to actually connect with other people that are going through the same as me.

I hope on Monday my doctor has some answers or other options to keep my progesterone levels up. I would be interested to know anyone who has had the same problem as well on here?

I saw Rudd wants to cut Medicare rebate which means IVF users would have to pay more money?.that scares the hell out of me too!!
    Cost of having a baby could rise by $2000 in crackdown on Medicare Safety Net scheme | Money Matters | News.com.au

Where are you in a cycle now wouldloveabubba??

Hi wouldloveabubba,

Thanks for your kind words?..I have been reading BBelly blogs for a while and decided to finally join as I think I need to be able to chat to people that are going thru the same thing.

This morning I woke and realised my 2ww was over???no having to get up and do the pessary routine  How quickly your rollercoaster ride ends?.I am only 8dpt so it is very disappointing that it is all ended so early after such a great start. At least I have 4 frosties this time and hope to start a FET cycle as quickly as possible. Not to long to wait until I see the dr on Monday I hope he has some ideas on how we can tackle this problem?I will let you know what he has in mind.

I too am interested to hear any other people that have had progesterone support that has helped them get a BFP.

Jodz ; You should come and join a thread, I dont know how to put the link here, but one of the girls will read this and pop a link in for you. And hopefully we will get some answers regarding Progesterone. I am seeing FS today, and I will ask her the highest support one can receive.

Stay tuned hun

Hi WLAB and Jodz,

Jodz, so sorry to hear AF has arrived, it is so dissapointing. Last time I asked the nurse about prog support, I was told that 2 prog pessiaries = 1 crinone, even though prog pessiaries are 200mg prog, and crinone is only 90mg, something about the way it is designed to be absorbed.

So I either do 2 x Crinone per day or 4 x pessiaries. I don't mind either ones, except the Crinone is so expensive.

Also in my first 3 FET (all HRT) cycles AF arrived 9dpo, 10dpo and 11dpo respectively. I have always had a LPD with AF normally arriving on 12dpo on natural cycles, my FS explained that if you naturally have a LP of say 12dpo, no matter how much prog support you have you will likely still get AF at 12dpo if you don't have a BFP. Very frustrating, I just want to get to BT day and get my BFP.

Wishing you both the best of luck, Jodz, WLAB is referring to the LTTTC Mar/Apr thread at the top of the page. xx

Hi Jodz,

I'm so so sorry - for everything - and I do know how you feel. We are doing IVF because my husband had testicular cancer so his swimmers are very ordinary. ICSI overcame this but as this nightmare goes on more things just keep popping up. intitally my FS did very little testing on me as i am young(ish) - 29 - and my cycles were very regular and everything appeared to be ok - but after my loss each transfer is BFN. A quick check of my progesterone in my last TWW showed it was low. I've always spotted for a few days before AF but never thought anything of it - you dont have to answer have you always done this too? The prog pessaries held off AF for me in my last TWW though. As others have said though everyone is different. Hopefully your FS will give you some answers on Monday. As soon as I found out about my low progesterone I wondered if that's why i lost my baby? always looking for answers i suppose...

I've also heard that Prog pessaries inserted up your bum (sorry!) may be absorbed by the body better - and less mess apparently. Although I'm not keen to do this as I feel my poor body has been abused enough IYKWIM?

Hopefully all the awesome girls on here can share some success stories or give you some hope. I'm seeing my FS an Saturday - will share with you his thoughts ideas as it sounds like we are in a similar situation. Sorry for the essay.....wishing you all the very best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast