Thread: questions

Default questions

couple of questions

what is a beta?

what is endo?

at what stage after unnsuccessfully ttc do you seek alternative options to conception and what are they.?

what does clomid do?

i hope noone becomes offended by my questions but i simply dont know all the answers or options.i dont mean to be nieve but i have never delved into this subject before.

thank you for being patient with me

Sal Guest

Hi Nicole,

beta=bloodtest to find out if pg or not
    endo=endometriosis

Depending on your age, 12 months TTC is the benchmark before seeking further investigations.

Clomid helps kick your ovaries into producing an egg, which can be a reason that a woman hasn't conceived.

Sorry, these were quick answers. Am leaving work now. Will post again if the other girls don't provide more info.

so you would only need to take clomid if you dont o?

i still dont know what endometriosis is.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

anyone jump in to correct me if I'm wrong, but endo is a condition where lesions develop on your fallopian tubes that can cause obstruction to the natural journey of the egg.

I've never actually taken Clomid so not sure if that's their only application.

love
    sushee

Sal Guest

Endometriosis is where the lining of the womb grows outside of the womb, causing adhesions and infections.

Clomid can only help where a woman doesn't o.

Going to have to correct you sushee.

When you suffer Endometriosis, your period (in my case this happened) regurtitates back inside of you and comes out of your fallopian tubes, as well as coming out the way it is meant too leaving endometrial tissue outside of your uterus.

This misplaced tissue develops into growths or lesions which respond to the menstrual cycle in the same way that the tissue of the uterine lining does: each month the tissue builds up, breaks down, and sheds. Menstrual blood flows from the uterus and out of the body through the vagina, but the blood and tissue shed from endometrial growths has no way of leaving the body. This results in internal bleeding, breakdown of the blood and tissue from the lesions, and inflammation -- and can cause pain, infertility, scar tissue formation, adhesions, and bowel problems.

Hope that helps

Love

hi kath,in your case how was it that they were able to correct it so that you could have your 2 beautiful children.

also what are the different options if i was not able to conceive naturally in the first 12 months and how much do these options normally cost,what is the success rate and how long generally can it take to start such treaments and to conceive once started.

sorry so many questions,maybe you could all answer one each.lol

nikki

Hey Nikki,

I O'd on my own but was still put on Clomid. My cycles were very irregular after my miscarriages and I would O around CD40 or later sometimes. Clomid made me O earlier (around CD20) and I got pg on my first round. Apparently Clomid can also help if you have a luteal phase defect.

HTH.

Angel.

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

OMG, it is so much worse than I thought it was! I have developed far more empathy for you guys now.

love
    sushee

Hi Nicole

I was only diagnosed with endo via a lapraoscopy (keyhole surgery thru abdomen) I had surgery because I fell off a chair and 24 hrs later was having really bad pain in my side. Was admitted to hosp with suspected appendicitis and sent home 2 days later. I then had an u/sound and they discovered that I had a burst ovarian cyst, so needed surgery to have that removed, which is where they discovered I was full on endo. So they removed it all during surgery and I was put on a 6mth course of a drug called Zolodex, that needed to be injected into my stomach once a month.

A couple of years later I started bleeding mid cycle something I had never done, my gyno who was also my endo surgeon did an internal and my womb had a tethered texture to it, so I needed another lapraoscopy. I had an adhesion that was making a ligament stick to the wall of my uterus pulling on it, so that was fixed tiny pockets of endo removed and they also did a dye study thru my fallopian tubes to make sure they were clear, as I said I wanted to start to TTC in the new year. My tubes were clear.

So we started TTC in the Feb and I fell pregnant 10 days later (one of the lucky ones) Falling pregnant is actually a good thing for Endo as the hormones in your body hang around for a couple of years after birth, which makes the Endo go into a dormant state. I fell pregnant again before Kameron's 2nd birthday

Love

Nikki,

I was diagnosed with endo about 13 years ago now and that was after 2 frustrating years of pain and not knowing what was going on, and having my appendix removed because they thought that's what the pain was (they were fine!).

Endo can affect women in different ways. Some have bleeding mid cycle, or may have reduced fertility due to scarring of the fallopian tubes and ovary surface, others may get excrutiating bowel problems, painful sex, very heave periods, or conversely, very light periods...this list goes on and on. I was fairly full of endo the first time and had a lap to cauterise it, except over one fallopian tube and ovary. I was on drugs to help reduce what was left - tables; sort of a cortisone. Made me gain about 25kg, much of what I have never lost.

I had pain mid cycle, which was my indicator. I went back about 4 years later for another clean out and then again in July this year went in a third time for a bit of a mop up (hardly any, but some).

It's probably best to get info about endo from the Endo society or your gyno about it for more details.

About your question on different options following not being able to concieve yourself, well, there are a few and it really depends on your situation. A lot of people think that they have to go onto IVF because they can't do it on their own, but in fact, there maybe another explanation which may take some investigation. I posted in the Dec thread in this forum around the 5th Dec about a cousin of mine who is getting concerned about not conceiving and knew second hand that I may have some info. Perhaps like you, she has not seen anyone other than an OB and really needs to speak to a fertility dr about next steps.

IVF and its close relatives in assisted reproduction (or AR) is a BIG step to take and you probably want to make sure that you have exhausted all other avenues before you take that step. I suppose what I am saying is, just because you are finding problems conceiving naturally, doesn;t mean that IVF is a logical next step. There are a lot of other steps to do (non invasive ones) before you make that transition.

However, if IVF is for you, then again, there are many and varied drug regimes you can go on. I'm not sure that there is one of us in here who are on the same drug regime at the same time!!

So, in a long winded way of saying this, it is hard to say what your options may be until you have a full work up, which will include your DH/DP.

Hayseed