Thread: Steps in IVF???

Default Steps in IVF???

Hi ladies,
    was wondering if anyone can let me know what to expect with IVF.

I have done all blood tests etc to start and will be seeing the Dr in 2 weeks to start the process but was wondering if anyone can help me understand the steps involved and how long it takes etc.
    cheers
    Destiny 8-[

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Destiny,

welcome to BB.

There are a few protocols with IVF, and it will largely depend on the protocol you are on as to how long it will be from the first day of meds to the transfer of your embryos.

A down reg protocol will span about 2 months from AF, and a flare with take only a month. That's because with a down reg, you are put on suppresant drugs prior to the pick up cycle, and with a flare, you don't have this 'preparatory' cycle, you launch straight into Follicle Stimulating Hormones the day after AF arrives.

In the cycle where you have your pick-up (or Egg Collection), you start your meds to start stimulating the follicles in your ovaries. This will generally follow the natural rythym of your body, which means your follicles will take between 12-16 days to mature. Depending on how your body responds, they will be aiming for about 10 eggs to pick-up.

You will normally have regular blood tests and untrasounds to monitor follicular growth and when your most mature follicles are around 18-20mm big, they will book you in for your Egg Pick Up. This involves a GA or sedation, and they will do a mini op to retrieve your eggs using a fine needle through your vaginal wall. Once the eggs are retrieved, they are put with your DH's sperm for fertilisation. At this point, around 60% of eggs fertilise, but this number is variable.

Depending again on your clinci, 1-2 of these fertilised embryos will be transferred to you after 2-5 days from pick up. Then, you wait until when you AF would normally be due to see if it worked!

That's the really summarised version, and skimmed a lot of things that are done differently between clinics. But it should give you some idea.

love
    sushee

thanks heaps.......have a better of idea of what is involved now... \/

Blue Sky Guest

Hi Destiny,

Sushee has given you an excellent rundown on IVF (=D>=D>=D> Sushee!)

Good luck with your appointments. Make sure you ask questions if you're not sure. They will most likely give you some information about your cycle. Otherwise most IVF clinics have websites that provide info about cycles.

I have my for you petal!

sararms Guest

Good Luck Destiny

It is very complicated at the start isn't it. I have only had one actual attempt of IVF. I responded really well with 13 embryos and then later had another attempt off the back of the first one, if you know what I mean. I'm waiting for another fresh attempt which I could start in either 2-6 weeks depending on what the Doc says.

I really hope it works for you and you have an easy time of it, I'm lucky I don't really get bad symptoms. You should join the Long Term TTC and Assisted Conception Thread. You'll find a lot of support there, and get a lot of tips on how to make things a little bit easier.

I hope to see you there soon