Thread: Supplements for DH's sperm

Default Supplements for DH's sperm

Hi,
    Some of you would have heard my rant about finding out after 3 years and 3 SA's that DH's has poor motility and we must do ICSI.
    I am OK with it now, but i have decided that when we do get to do IVF i want my eggs and DH's to be the best best little ones possible, as they need to cope with the freeze/thaw process.

I just read that Sarah_H is going to get zinc and folate for her DH.

What supplements have you all got your DH/DP taking? What should i put my DH on?
    TIA

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

both my husband and I took CoQ10 - based on some things I read on forums and advice others gave me and doing my own reasearch.FS said it wouldn't hurt ... I stopped taking it before EPU.

Increasing sperm count (idiopathic spermatozoa)
    There is early evidence that supports the use of CoQ10 in the treatment of increasing sperm count and motility. Better studies are needed before a strong recommendation can be made.
    Mayo clinic website

google CoQ10 and sperm and see what else you can find -there are quite a few studies but nothing proven

WE also took fish oil supplements.

We had unexplained infertility. By the time we saw FS my DH was out of jocks into boxers and a few other things ...less alcohol and more b'ding to increase the number of sperm/and quality .The more you do it the better the quality of the sperm.

Stay out of hot spas and hot baths. NO bike riding.

It takes approx 2 months (70 days) for a change ... that is how long it takes sperm to be produced.

google babyhopes dot com + natural supplements to increase sperm count - it has a whole page of ideas
    Last edited by Baby~amore`; March 30th, 2007 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks - i had read that it took 70 days for sperm production. I sometimes wonder if something happened a couple of months before DH's bad SA that caused the poor results.
    As you say, taking these things won't hurt and anything that may help is worth it.

My IVF specalist said Dh should be taking Vit C and Vit E to improve his sperm

yep definitely get him to take some zinc aswell as a Mens multi vitamin

Hiya
    Zinc is definately good you may want to check on Maca powder at your helth food store it is supposed to be good for female and male fertility. Worth a look.
    Good luck

hi,
    i though i would add to the list of suppliments, my DH takes selenium and zinc. daily.
    hope this helps
    georgette

Oooh thanks for posting Jo, I was actually going to do the same to see if there was anything else recommended

My FS recommends DH takes Elevit. He also takes extra zinc, vit C, vit E, selenium, CoQ10... (almost the whole pharmacy! LOL).

There is a new supplement hopefully coming out in Australia in September called Menevit, which has been clinically proven to improve sperm and pregnancy rates!! Google it for more info. (It was supposed to come out last year, I think, or maybe Feb this year, but it has been delayed because of paperwork for the government... as my DH said once, "don't they realise we're counting on it to get preggers??" !! LOL)

Hope this helps

Ooh cool Shell. We were actually discussing Aaron taking Elevit as well, but wasn't sure. I wonder if Menevit is available o/s yet?
    Last edited by {sarah}; April 1st, 2007 at 04:00 PM.

My acup suggested pumpkin seed to improve swimmers and my naturopath also said essential fatty oils (including LSA mix and nuts/pumpkin seeds) to improve quality. along with zinc of course.
    Just another idea.

Thanks everyone.
    There is clearly a need for a men's fertility supplement - although from the list that is here - it's going to be a very big tablet!

Sarah,
    I believe it's important to take vitb6 and vit b12 with the folate. Folate requires the b12 and b6 for proper absorption andutilisation of the folate. It has a direct effect on dna. As the other said zinc (liquid zinc is yucky but it's best) and vit c and fish oil. My dh rattles when he walks!