Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trans-Vaginal Ultrasound to check follicles?

Default Trans-Vaginal Ultrasound to check follicles?

Hey guys,

We're starting the process of going through IVF soon & we're having some testing done over the next month or so. I'm booked in tomorrow for a trans-vag u/s to check out follicles.... But I'm not entirely sure what the story is LOL!!

I'm CD13 but I O late, so I expect they are checking to see what they are doing before ovulation? What should I expect, will they tell me I have Oed, going to O soon or am a long way off? Will it show if there are any issues with ovulation? What other things would they check at the same time?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

not sure Sarah.. but all the best !

Sarah,
    A follie scan shows follicular growth. As you know the ovum are encased in the follcle. When the follicle is mature the lutenising hormone surge (LH surge) occurs. This rush causes the follicle to burst open and release that gorgeous egg!

Most women only get one ripe follicle a month on a natural/unmedicated cycle. This u/s tomorrow will see how many if any follies you have and the size in mm's. A follicle is thought to be ripe at about 18mm's but sometimes it can be earlier and often it's later.

The u/s will also show your endometrium. The endometrium gives good clues to a woman's fertility. We want to see a triple stripe pattern in best case and a nice thick lining upwards of 8mm's. This shows that your womb is developing well to support a little embie in there!

I hope that helps my love. I am visualising a gorgeous endometrium and some nice follicular activity!

Thanks Deb, very helpful indeed

I always had a scan on cd12 while on clomid, my FS could tell me how many mature follicles I had and approx when I was going O hope that helps

Hi Sarah,
    I seem to have had loads of those in my time, and depending on where you are at in your cycle, they are checking for different things. Basically, seeing as where you are at in your cycle, they are going to check for exactly what Deb said - follicle and lining. If it's your first they might just be checking that everything looks just how it should. They always tell me that i have a retroverted uterus when i have one done, and once they noticed a large cyst, as well as a follie and they checked back on day 3 to see if the cyst had gone (and it had).

Just thought i'd add that at my first clinic they always put a condom on the end of the ultrasound - it's hygenic and just the right size. At my regional clinic now, they stick a surgical glove on it and put the ultrasound right up into the finger of the glove. THEN DH was horrified at Freemasons the other day when the Dr put gladwrap on the end of it!!!! We figured money must have been tight that week!

Good luck Sarah, hope they find it all looking just perfect.

LOL Kotare - I have had the glove thingy too - it's a nice look eh!?

Sarah,
    It may become second nature after awhile, I went for an abdo us done last week and the radiologist was trying to soften me up before she said "I need to do it internally" I already had my knickers off as she is mid sentence...my pride was not dinted it is just the norm Hope they get a great look at your ovaries its nice to be able to see what just goes on before any little one occupies there. LOL Jo ..hmmm the gladwrap sounds clingy we always get the middle finger of a glove.
    Bec

Is this the same as a levoist ultrasound? I am having one of those next week. We are in the initial stages of IVF also, lot's of tests being done!

(for those who know me we were going through the adoption process but have put that on hold. I am facing my fears of more disappointment in not having a baby and heading down the IVF path. I felt that I could not be the best mother I possibly could to our adopted child until I had explored the IVF path, I didn't think I needed to but after starting the adoption process I realised I did )

lil chookie

the levovist is the dye test.
    a trans vaginal is a internal ultrasound, they okay can be slightly uncomfortable but worth it when you see a heart beat

love

Ooooh lil chookie, how exciting We can do it all together!! That is if Aaron decides he's ready now... We're still debating whether to do it now or in a few months time.

Hey Sarah - I had the glove too with mine, see if they point out the "wall of Douglas", DH and I had a good laugh about some guy naming girl bits after himself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_H View Post
    Ooooh lil chookie, how exciting We can do it all together!! That is if Aaron decides he's ready now... We're still debating whether to do it now or in a few months time.
    Yay for the Sarah's (I am Sarah as well)!! We are having all our tests done at the moment and then we go to Europe for 5 weeks and our appointment back at the clinic to decide our plan of attack is on July 11th. So I am guessing it won't be until my August cycle that anything happens.

princess - I didn't realise levovist was a die test, what does it involve??

Aaron has just officially agreed to go for it in July, so I have this cycle to finish then another & we're on!!

How exciting.

Wow Sarah! July isn't all that far away either! So how are you feeling about it all? Do you feel it is going too fast, kwim, or are you happy with how quickly things are moving now?

I'm thrilled actually Sherie. Aaron was apprehensive, but he'll be right. When he realised we have two last cycles as a "last ditch effort" (his words) he was happy.

Sarah, I am so happy for you! My DH has been a little apprehensive about things but he is right on board now & excited. It was actually funny, I went to the first appointment alone as I knew it would be alot of questions and referals for tests. He called me as soon as I finished and said "so, when do I have to do it in a cup"......I liked that he made a little humour out of it rather than feeling any pressure. I think he is also more comfortable as I think he hopes for a miracle when we go to Europe, so many stories of people not being able to get pregnant, off to Europe for a holiday and hello there is a baby!! A holiday miracle would be very special but we have our appointment 2 days after getting off the plane, so things are happening and that makes me happy.

Aaron is hoping for a miracle in the next two months as well! He's taking these last two cycles as a lat ditch effort to do it naturally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast