Thread: Transfers at MIVF

Default Transfers at MIVF

Hi there,

I was wondering whether any of the ladies who have gone to MIVF can tell me about the transfer... Like, do they use a scan to position the embies in the right place or do they just shoot them up there and hope for the best? Do they do a mock transfer before? Do they give you a picture of your embies etc.. How long does it take etc...

I guess I just wanna know what to expect (and Im paranoid of course) he he. :biggrin:

Thanks!!

Janine...I had mine done awhile ago over 2 years and done at RWH
    We were shown the embies on a tv screen but didnt get any pics and they just shot them up, and then checked the cathater to make sure they came out. I'm not sure whether it is different at the Freemasons ?
    My FT mentioned when we did DD transfer that she was a good looking embie and sure enough she took.
    Good luck with your IVF journey...hope it is as wonderful as mine
    Bec

Bokkie,

I had my transfer done at Freemasons and it was pretty straightforward ... just a five minute appointment.

You go and sit in the chair just like you were going to have a routine pap smear or something and there is a small screen above you. The lab tech is just outside the door. They show you the pictures of the embryos on the screen then the lab tech draws them up into the catheter, hands them to your doctor and he/she puts that catheter through your cervix and into the uterus for the transfer.

They then check the catheter to make sure nothing is retained, hand you your listeria leaflet and you're on your way. Good luck!

I almost forgot to mention that current practice is to place the embryos low in the uterus, giving them the best chance of finding a nice safe place to implant.

I didn't get a picture but I still remember what those two embryos looked like. Every time I look at William, I think how when I first saw him, he was just four cells.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Mel

Thanks for your replies Mel and Bec. It sounds pretty straightforward, I guess in the USA they do alot of stuff that they don't worry about here but from both of your wonderful success stories, it seems to work out just fine.

Mel, is the fact that they now put them in low in your uterus trying to prevent ectopics? Did you have a day 2 transfer then?

Hi Janine,

I too went through MIVF and found them to be very supportive. We had success first time and we are now nearly 29 weeks pregnant.

We didn't get a picture but it was so amazing to see our little emby on the screen before the transfer. I was surprised how simple the transfer was. We had a 2 day transfer and I believe that a 2 day transfer is more common with MIVF. I know someone who went through Monash and they had a 5 day transfer and also had success. I think they prefer 2 day because less emby's survive the 5 day transfer but if they do get to that stage the chances are good also.

I wish you the best of luck and hope to hear your good news in the months to come.

Love Linda

Hi Linda! Thanks for replying! I remember you went with Dr. Tsaltas as well I think! He's lovely. I'm so happy to hear your pregnancy is progressing nicely and that your little one will be here soon. It gives me great hope to hear your story! I guess it just got me interested to read that some clinics look to see where they're placing your embies via ultrasound but ours doesn't. Just different protocols I guess.
    Good luck to you and I hope you have a lovely rest of your pregnancy!