Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: TTC & Taking Clomid &/or Metformin ~ December 06

And then we'd still want you to come in here!!!!
    Well said Sarah!
    Come on in KT Girl!!!!

Oh ok well I guess I am staying... well for as long as you guys will have me Thanks for that Sarah I just thought that I would have to migrate to another forum but I would love to stay with all of these wonderful woman.

Also just want to say welcome Emmydee and WalkingArt. Good luck to the both of you.

Good. Now the world is back as it should be

Hi Girls,
    Good to hear form you all. Monnie i also noticed that i'm doing my first cycle on days 9-13(i think anyway). Unfortuantely we are gueesing because i was having a period fortnightly. I am still dreading the side effects just the same.

Mako: I noticed that you are getting tested on the same day as me so i guess just like me you'll be shagging on my birthday.lol. Maybe it proves lucky for us both. I was also meant to get jabbed on xmas day but boxing day is the closest.The best of luck i send to you...
    Bw:I'm so sorry to hear of the mental anguish that you are going through at the moment it must be so very hard with all the what ifs. I hope that your new fs is very very capable and able to allay all your fears.
    Emmydee: I know exactly how you feel. My best friend and her husband decided they'd try for another baby. so for 2 weeks they were at it, but then hubby changed his mind .. But wham bang. A few days later they discoverd she was already pregnant. Child number 6. Its hard sometimes.
    Willow : delighted to hear your mum is well. Start Clomid tomorrow. i'm such a scaredy cat.OOOOOhhhhh
    Walking art:We can hope and maybe it wont come at all if we all wish hard enough. its worth a try.
    I hope that all of you other lovely girls arent having it too hard today.
    Pauline

I'm feeling a lot more relaxed about it all today. I'm sorry for having to subject you all to my little brain explosions when everything gets too much for me. Often I use writing here as a substitute for a journal just to get things out of my head.

Right now I'm just sleepy... two more school days to go... I'm also hot, tired and slightly grumpy with DH for not closing up the house and keeping it cooler, but I'm slowly getting that out of my system.

I guess the important thing I got out of my little ramble is that I know there are a lot of questions I need to ask of my doctors. I'm also contemplating getting myself a consultation with Gavin Sacks who I have heard so much about in this area... It's a tricky situation as there's no way we can afford IVFA's fee structure, or be trekking into the city regularly for appointments so it would need to be a one-off, and I'm not sure that doctors really like doing that sort of thing...

BW

Butterfly,
    I feel certain that DR S would be happy to do a one off. (he did with me)

There are a few things I would like to pop in an email to you - is that okay?

Deb, all emails, PMs and other assorted information gratefully received!

I'd like to think I'm over reacting to the situation, but there's that little niggle, the gut feeling that I'm not... it's something I just can't ignore, but I have no idea of which way to turn in order to start finding information for myself. I know I can no longer let my rheumy brush me off - next appointment, and I may just bring it forward I'll be pushing him to do the tests, biopsies and whatever else he can think of that might tell us once and for all what this is... and I'm not going to let the FS brush this off either... if he does, then I think I will definitely book myself into Dr S to see what he has to say about the matter. There's a plan forming here, and I need to write it out to get my thoughts straight.

It's weird how I'm happy to do another clomid cycle, or injections, but if it comes to IVF I want all the answers first...

BW

BW, as you probably know Dr S is my FS. As Deb said, I don't think he'd have any problems with seeing you for a one off consultation.

I am a bit confused though - what is it exactly that you are concerned about that you are hoping Dr S can help with??

I understand what you are saying about cost though. IVFA is quite expensive and I paid $300 for my first consultation :eek: - that included an ultrasound though so it would have been cheaper if not for that.

I work in the city so I see Dr S in the morning before I go to work so it works really well for us. When we proceed to IVF though, it means we'll have to travel a long distance for procedures (epu, transfers etc), most likely to Maroubra. I am hoping all my monitoring can be done at the Westmead clinic, but that is still a fair way for you to travel, especially as you work full time (I only work 2 days so it's not going to be an inconvenience for me).

I think the plan you have in mind, ie talking to your rheumy, then seeing Dr Knight is a good one. If you are unsatisfied after that point, I am sure Dr Sacks would be happy to discuss your concerns.
    Last edited by Willow; December 6th, 2006 at 08:34 PM.

Willow, I have a weird form of arthritis which nobody can identify just yet. All that we do know is that it is some form of auto-immune condition. It could be a case of having done too much reading and freaking myself out, but there does seem to be a link between auto-immune conditions and difficulty sustaining a pregnancy. This on top of my PCOS and inability to actually ovulate and conceive and the increased risk of miscarriage that PCOS brings, I'm terrified any baby I do manage to conceive I will lose. I know Dr S is the immunology expert, and I'm hoping he may have some ideas for me.

I feel ever so slightly crazy for thinking this way when I've never been pregnant, let alone lost a baby! But with the experiences I've had contact with through friends and family, I've seen too much of how pregnancy may go wrong to be able to ignore this.

Huge thanks to Michelle for making me feel normal again with last night's email.

and an exciting thought for the morning... second last day of school today! When I arrive at school the hands drawn on the whiteboard for the countdown (they started out as mutant hands with an extra digit each to count from 12) will be down to one finger! And the FS appointment is one week from today! Woooo!

BW

Ahhh, OK. I figured that's what you meant but wasn't sure.

He certainly is the guru when it comes to immunology.

I don't think you're crazy at all for what it's worth. If there's something to know, it's better to know it now rather than later. Especially when you will have worked so hard to achieve a pregnancy.

Once we get the ivf ball rolling, I will be asking him myself if he thinks there is any cause to maybe do the standard m/c tests myself. I have had one healthy baby and lost one so I am not sure where that leaves me sometimes.

His work in immunology and m/c was another reason I chose him as my FS. Although I have 'only' had one m/c, I feel more comfortable working with a dr who is so experienced in this area.

Butterfly,
    You are NOT crazy for thinking this.
    There is an undeniable and definite link between autoimmune disorders and miscarriage.
    You will seek out the right answers for YOUR condition because you won't leave a stone unturned. Good on you if I can help you know where I am!

BW - There is no need to keep apologising... im sure everyone here is more than happy to read your story and support you (myself included). I just have one questions, do women with PCOS have a higher risk of m/c? i wasnt aware of that. now im a little worried.

Walking Art, unfortunately women with PCOS are at higher risk. I'm not sure of the reasons why.

I've also heard that clomid prg have a higher incidence of m/c.

Don't be too worried, it's still the exception, rather than the rule.

Hi ladies.

BW- Like all of the other lovlies has said please don't feel stupid or apologise for having concerns. It is only natural to feel like that so vent all you like.

Mako- Is that Metformin treating you any better yet?

Calixelain- You must be finished your Clomid by now what is next for you are you going for a blood test or follie scan?

Willow and Beibei how is the TWW treating you two ?

Flowerchild- Are you getting excited about your scan tomorrow? It is tomorrow isn't it?

Monnie- 4 weeks today how exciting, 8 months to go !!!

Well I am back on day 1 AF showed up this morning which I knew was going to happen anyway. Picked up my injections yesterday so I start these on Sunday which is day 3. Dr wanted to scan me on Day 10 but unfortunately that lands on a Sat so I am going for a blood test on that day and we will go from there. We will do another insemination this month and see how that goes. Lets hope that we start 2007 off with a bang!!!

Hi to Walkingart, Michelle, Pollyanna, Emmydee, missbelinda and Debbie. Sorry if I have missed anyone if I have Hi!!!

Hi

BW Good luck to you for your appointment next week. I hope you are able to get the answers you need hun. Not long now til the holidays. Do you know if you will be working at the same school next year?? I think I read a while ago that you were unsure of where you would be next year???

Ktgirl I'm so pleased that you don't have to leave this wondreful thread. How are you today hun??? I hope the witch is staying away.

Willow I was also unaware that the risk of m/c is higher in women who take clomid. Thank you for letting me know. How are you doing today?

Pollyanna Hello sweet. I hope you are ok. When is your birthday. Just need to know this as you said we should be both b'ding that day.

Flowerchild, Walking Art, BeiBei and all you other fantastic ladies in here, I hope you are all having a good day.

As for me I started clomid last night so am praying that the combination of meds work this time around. I don't think I've ever had to take so many pills in one go as I do atm lol. The things we must do hey!!! I also had a job interview today so I hope I am successful with that. I'm desperate for a new job. Will find out tomorrow if I move on to next stage of interview process. Today was the second stage.

WALKIG Art and Willow,
    PCOS suffers do have a higher rate of miscarriage. This is because these women often have multiple hormonal imbalances which make sustaining a pregnancy more challenging. These imbalances are often successfully counteracted with medication. Metformin and clomid being drugs of choice.

The rates of miscarriage amongst women on clomid is higher due to the high number of women with PCOS on clomid. This is not due to clomid itself.

I hope that helps.

Aww Ktgirl I'm sorry we must have been posting at the same time.
    I'm so sorry that the witch showed her face today. I hope she treats you kindly. I also want to wish you all the best for your next IUI. You will get your much wanted bfp soon hun, I can just feel it. Keep your chin up and know that I'm thinking of you.
    The metformin seems to hit me every second night for some reason. Weird hey.

What Deb has said is correct. The insulin resistance that causes PCOS mucks up all hormones which mucks up all processes that rely on hormones. Having PCOS also leaves you at a higher risk of developing gestational diabetes and type 2 diabetes later in life... sounds wonderful, doesn't it! But that's all part of the reason that PCOS needs to be seen as a condition to be managed through your whole life, not just when TTC. Using clomid doesn't increase the risk of miscarriage, that comes about with the underlying problems that result in clomid usage. Clomid also doesn't increase the risk of birth defects or other problems.

Deb, the one thing I'm having trouble with at the moment is knowing where to start looking for answers. I don't have enough of a medical background to understand all the research papers - my degree is in chemistry, not biology! If there's anything you can direct me to that is in plain, simple everyday language that would be greatly appreciated. Alternatively, something that I can give to my doctors to show that my concerns aren't completely unfounded, or that I can get my friend to translate for me would also be quite useful.

I'm in a really strange mood... grumpy, and with that awful feeling of dread that I'm about to get into trouble for something or other... I hope it passes soon... not happy!

BW

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast