Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We might be off to a bad start...

Red face We might be off to a bad start...

Hi Girls.

Had a follow appt with my FS this morning after a lap last week.

We'll be starting IVF in the new year (our chances of a natural conception are about 5% per cycle and I'm sick of battling those odds).

I was feeling really positive about it, 3 of my best friends have IVF babies so I know that it's not pretty but am willing to do whatever it takes.

My concern is that my FS discussed some blood test results with me today that he's a bit concerned about. Apparently my last FSH levels came in higher than he would have expected for my age and mentioned this might indicate that I could be a poor responder to IVF. My left ovary has been badly damaged by a cyst which was removed in may and it's pretty likely that it's not functioning, so this may be the cause for the high FSH levels (apparently they are an indicator of how well your ovaries are functioning?).

We are re doing the bloods to double check but my heart sunk when he told me this

I won't have the results for a few weeks because the test has to be done on cd2-4 and I'm about 2 weeks off that.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and still responded well to IVF?

Also, does anyone know what your FSH levels should be around the beginning of your cycle?

Willow, honey Im sorry you are having such a hard time... I have read about FSH levels before and found this info on the web that might give you some insight...

FSH (blood test for female partner usually done on day 3 of menstrual cycle): Clinics like to see an FSH level of below 10. A once elevated FSH could be an indication that the eggs may not be able to function properly in order to have a successful IVF cycle. Currently there isn't a way to lower your FSH level.

Some women who have an elevated FSH can go on to have a successful pregnancy using their own eggs, but the success rates for this group of women is lower than for women who have a normal FSH level. Clinics may recommend the use of donor eggs, if your FSH is elevated.

What is the most common cause of high FSH? When a women goes into menopause she is essentially running out of eggs in her ovaries. The brain senses that there is a low estrogen environment and more FSH is released from the pituitary gland in an attempt to stimulate the ovaries enough to produce a good follicle and estrogen. In other words, an elevated FSH represents a reduced egg supply (in numbers of eggs remaining) and it might also reflect a compromise of egg quality. However, in general, the best quick and easy "test" for egg quality is looking at the woman's drivers license - her age.
    However, dont jump to any conclusions just yet (although I know how hard that is)... they said they didnt think I would respond all that well and I havent had a stim cycle yet where I havent had over 40 follies! In fact I respond TOO well... so you just dont know... have everything crossed for you and Im sure Gavin will give you the best advice and options.

:hugs:

Thanks Keen. Obviously not what I was hoping to hear but it's better to know what we might be up against I guess.

I am just so disappointed (OK, that word is inadequate but can't think of something more appropriate) that the 'worst case scenario' may have gotten even worse.

A girlfriend of mine (prg with an icsi pixie) did a bit of searching on the net for me cause i was too scared of finding more bad news. she actually came up with some stuff that gave me a bit of hope - even one lady whose FSH was over 100 :eek: but still managed to have a baby!

See honey you just never do know. And it certainly doesnt mean you cant, and its just going to be another one of those real nasty hurdles we will overcome before we get a bubba each

I hope so sweetie.

We sure have had our share of the nasty ones huh??

Feeling really down tonight, everyone keeps telling me things can only get better, but they just keep on gettin worse.

Willow Nothing I say will improve the potentials and the unknowns that are hanging over your head, but know I am thinking of you and sending you the biggest hug. If you need me I am always near. xx

Willow - I can't say anything to make it all better but just know that i am here for you. Remember, they wouldn't have you doing IVF if they thought that it didn't have a chance of working.

Love and hugs,
    Debbie

Awww, thanks guys.

I sent an email to my FS this morning telling him i was worrying myself sick over this. He called me tonight and reassured me that he thinks we are going to be fine. He said even if my next test shows the same elevated levels, its not too bad as far as these things go and he would still expect me to respond to the drugs. He also said my age was definately on my side. So feeling a bit better about things tonight.

We just have to wait and see, the proof is in the pudding as they say, and we aren't going to know until we do it.

Michelle, hope you are feeling well. I really miss you in our clomid thread (but sooooo glad you finally escaped at the same time!!).

Debbie I have missed you too! we'll catch up in the clomid thread.

Keen, I don't know what it is about Gavin but I just trust him and I just feel like he's going to do everything in his power to get us there. I think we are both very lucky to have found him.

Willow, it appears that very shortly I will be following you into the world of IVF. If I ever get organised enough to go see my GP for a referral!

News from my acupuncturist over in the clomid/metformin thread... It's scary, exciting, worrying all at the same time, but brings a sense of relief in some ways.

BW

Just read your post - I was excited to be starting IVF in the new year but am a bit disheartened now as I'm sure you can imagine.

Maybe you, me and Keen will be cycle buddies!!

If anything, at least it will get us out of the clomid thread!! I love the girls there but we need to 'graduate' somewhere sooner or later!! :P

I've been in that thread for so long with all those months on just metformin... and still sticking with the metformin now... I almost feel like I'm never going to get out!

I've seen so many people come and go with such positive stories... and then there's me.

I really need to remember to make an appointment with my GP ASAP!

BW

Hi Willow,
    I know theres not much to say that will make you feel better, but I can say that hope isn't lost!!
    We have done 4 full IVF stim cycles since 2003, and after telling me there would be absolutely no problems, it still took us the first 2 cycles of 'experimentation' to get the dosage of drugs right.
    I didn't respond at all in the first 2 cycles - the 1st cycle not even having an embryo to transfer, and the 2nd cycle pretty much the same.
    I was in your position starting to think OMG if this doesn't work, then we have nothing to move forward to - I'm here as proof otherwise, though, because, although it may have been a long haul, the doctors finally got my drugs right after mixing everything around, and my 2 cycles this year we have gone from getting 4 eggs the first 2 cycles, to 18 eggs in the last 2 cycles.
    Our embryos were of extremely poor quality the first 2 attempts, and of the highest quality the last 2 attempts.
    I have every belief that your doctors will find the right doasges for you - even if it takes a little while!!!
    Its such an overwhelming thing, IVF, but they know what they're doing, and theres always something else they can try every new attempt!!!
    Stay positive Sending happy thoughts to you!!!

Holly thank you so much for posting.

You really have no idea how much this has helped to lift my spirits!!

After talking to my FS last night and reading your post, I feel much more confident that things might still work out.

At the end of the day, there are no guarantees for anyone. As Keen said, women who are initially told they will be poor responders go on to have success and vice versa.

I have full faith that my FS will get us there.

Woo hoo! Just got my results back from recent blood tests - FSH is back to normal!!

YAYE! Willow, honey that is awesome! See Gavin was not going to let you go down without a fight!

Bring on the next cycle, I say! We have to celebrate each little step forward we get...

Hey Willow,
    Was wondering how your going gal.. great news about your fsh levels. Thats wonderful. I hope you have a very happy and special christmas. Sending you lots of hope and prayers for a great big fat positive in 07.
    Love

Pauline

Awww, thanks guys!

Keen, I was so happy and relieved when Gavin told me I could have kissed him!! He told me that they often fluctuate and he was expecting mine to improve after my surgery, I guess I should have had more faith in him. That and my DHs awesome SA results are the first lot of good news we've had in 12 months! Certainly lifted my spirits.

Hey Pollyanna, have been away on holidays but will pop into the clomid/met thread tonight.

Willow, I was wondering how you were going! It's good to see you back and you seem so happy - good to see!

BW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast