Thread: What does your clinic have you do immediately post Embryo Transfer..and other ET?

Default What does your clinic have you do immediately post Embryo Transfer..and other ET?

Hi

My clinic does not have you rest or wait following embryo transfer. They just insert the catheter, push the embryo out, withdraw the catheter, check to make sure that the embryo actually left the catheter and then you stand up, get dressed and off you go. They don't even have you rest lying down for 5-10 minutes. I know that embryos aren't suppose to fall out - but gee, there was just this slim tube up there, isn't there a space through which the embryo could fall out?

I was also wondering if anyone has had an embryo transfer done with a guided ultrasound so that the FS sees (and aims?) exactly where they want to transfer the embryo.

Thanks!

I've only have one experience to go by... they walked the tube out of the room to another and checked it, while I was still laying there with my legs in that ever so comfortable skywards position. The nurse finally covered me up, legs still up, told the catheter was clear, we all had a chat for a few minutes. Then I was allowed to get up, taken back through to the waiting area, sat down and offered a drink or something to eat. Had to wait for FS to write out a prescription, and nurses to get the boxes of Crinone. This probably took somewhere around 10-15 minutes.
    Then was allowed to get dressed, but was asked to hang around the hospital for another 20-30 minutes before leaving, so we went downstairs and had a drink and sandwich from the caffeteria, (plus we had to wait till we could get our car from the car park)

Interesting - that makes sense to me - legs up for 10 min or so - but this isn't what my clinic does - it was probably just over 60 seconds after the catheter was removed until I was told I was good to change and go.

It is awful to be rushed out isn't it . I have had both with and without US guided. One of my worst experiences with ET (had 6 now) was with US and I found myself actually zone out mentally for the experience as it was so awful. I would have prefered no US in that situation TBH.

There is no way the embryo can fall out when you stand up, it is a pretty viscous environment that would overcome gravity, let alone there is almost no space in there. They should check both the catheta and the catheta contents after ET to see if the embryo was discharged before letting you get up and go. I think having your legs up and rest can help if the cervix or uterus has undergone a bit of trauma during ET and it may reduces any spasms but that can also be done in a chair afterwards. In my experience if you insist on lying there for a few moments or minutes to compose yourself even the most rushed clinics will let you. That said I have also jumped up and off the bed straight after and gone straight to the car and out shopping!

Modern science has gotten you this far hun, it is now the horrible waiting game to let nature do its thing. I HTH and wishing you all the best.
    xx

Thanks dusty - your reply was really comforting.

Hi buliej,

My clinic left it up to me whether I wanted to lie there for 5 mins or so or get straight up. They just got me to stay there while they checked the tube and catheter to make sure they were empty and then I was good to go whenever I wanted. I didn't hurry things, just laid there for a bit and took my time getting dressed. I'm sure if you wanted to take your time getting up they wouldn't argue? In any case Dusty is right, there's no way the embie can fall out, I was told that it is pretty well sandwiched in there once its in I actually went home and did a bit of gardening after my transfer LOL nothing too strenuous though!

The transfer was done under guided ultrasound too, which for me was a good thing because the FS had trouble getting the catheter in the right spot. So when he let the embie go we actually knew it was where it should be KWIM? And I was interested seeing it too, you could actually see the embie go (or a little spot which I assume was the embie anyway) which was quite cool.

Anyway I HTH and all the very best. Hope your little embie sticks and I'm so glad to hear you made it to transfer

BullieJ: I have had the same fears as you sweets, however I wanted to let you know I have read, its like a grain of pepper, put in between two pieces of wet bread ... unusual analogy..but one, that has helped me.

With the ultrasound is is internal or external ?

I believe the ultrasound is internal (I didn't have one - just read about it).

I hope my grain of pepper has multiplied and grown.

Hi All,
    I had my ET this morning. The US was outside in my stomach and not internal. I lay there while the checked the catheta etc was clear and then i went back to the recovery room where i could lie down for as long as i wanted. I lay down for about 10 mins because my legs were wobbly because they were in the stirrups a ling time because they had to change the speculum half way through and start again.
    You can actually see your utuerus and you can see how the embryo wont fall out because you can see the lining and the cavity and just how sandwiched it really is. You see the embyo and the fluid go in and it doesn't move. The nurse told me that the embryo finds it own way around looking for a comfy spot!

Hope that helps and good luck.

Emma
    ps. doesn't hurt much at all.

My ultrasound was external Glad I didn't have stirrups though!

Buliej,

My clinic was the same as yours. Embryo in, make sure the tube is clear, get up and get dressed, no mucking around!

Of my 2 transfers, I got a chemical reading the first time and got a BFP this time

So I wouldnt worry.

Good luck.

I've also had a very quick ET with an external ultrasound, which I had no difficulty with. As I had to have a full bladder before the transfer I was more than happy that it was over quickly!

Good Luck,
    Ali

Yes, I was so desperate to go and pee that the nurse asked "you're getting dress already?" and I said " yes, gotta pee!"... all within 2 minutes after transfer and got my successful BFP.

well they just do it and you're off, i don't even know if they check the catheta , but it's get dressed pretty much right away and off you go.

my fs said the embryo is like trying to get a raspberry seed out of a jam sandwich, thats how tight it is in there.

but doesn't matter as it's just not working for me anyway.