Thread: Accrued Annual Leave payout ?

Default Accrued Annual Leave payout ?

Hey Guys,

Just have a quick question. When you start your maternity leave can you request that your work pays you all of your annual leave that you have accrued? Or is it up to them whether they give it to you then or hold it until you come back to work?
    I have a feeling (with the wonderful work environment i have), they will hold my annual leave until i either return after my maternity leave or resign, in order to get me to resign prior to taking my maternity leave (even though a few years ago they gave it to my friend upfront).. at the moment im not sure whether ill be coming back but i dont know whats going to happen in a year..

My employer is happy to let me take my annual leave on full pay before I start maternity leave. So I will start my accrued annual leave of 3 weeks and then immediately following that I start maternity leave.
    I did this with DD as well.
    This is all part of our enterprise bargaining agreement but if you work somewhere that doesn't have that I'm not sure.
    Though I would think they should have to pay you out if you're not taking it but with the recent IR changes I'm not sure.
    sorry that's not much help!

If you give enough notice about your annual leave you should get it regardless of then taking maternity leave after.....if they try and stuff you about, ring the work choices people...or unions or whoever!

Kirsty77 Guest

I agree with chocolatecatty its up to you to give enough notice to apply for annual leave before maternity and your employer should comply. They could try to withhold it though.Check their EBA or policies on maternity leave. My employer was more than happy to payout whatever I had accured, so I am about to go on 2 weeks annual leave then maternity.I just checked with my HR dept.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately im past the 10 week notice mark of maternity leave in order to get it pushed back 2 weeks to take annual leave first. Plus, i work for a very spiteful company who most probably would deny me taking annual leave that way. Nevermind.. at the moment ill only be coming back here when hell freezes over so i may have to just go with my other option.

I took all my maternity leave, annual leave, sick leave the whole lot including leave you accrue whilst on leave!!!!
    As we accrue annual leave whilst on annual leave & I had 12wks annual laeve owing so I took it all with my maternity leave... Came back with nothing left, but nevermind!!!!

I think what's changed with the IR laws is you can no longer just get paid out your holidays.. you have to actually take leave. (not 100% on that.. but i think that's it). They're encouraging us to actually TAKE our holidays, a lot of people just ask for the money, but keep working (don't know why tho!! LOL).

The only other way to get your leave paid out, is to resign. Is maternity leave paid leave? (I wasn't employed when got pg.. so don't know ) If it's not, and you don't plan on returning to that work, why don't you just resign, and get all your entitlements paid to you?

Of course, if it's paid maternity leave then I completely have the wrong end of the stick.. i'm sorry! lol.

No my maternity leave isnt paid. I know some companies do that but mine is way to stingy to even think of it.
    My thoughts atm are to resign. Ive told them id work up until 38 weeks but am already so tired driving home im not sure if ill make it that long. Im just going to see how i go and give them a weeks notice when i decided enough is enough. Even so.. i dont think id want to go back to a company thats so horrible.. ill be doing myself and my family a favour.

Kirsty77 Guest

My company pays 6 weeks full pay of maternity. To be honest if I was in your shoes I probably resign so I could get all my annual leave paid out.

Hi - when I went on maternity leave, I had 13 weeks annual leave saved up - so out of the 52 weeks I had off, 13 of those were annual leave and the rest was unpaid maternity leave. The thing there was that all your leave added up could not go over the 52 weeks. It wasn't a case of getting them cashed in (or out) just that they formed part of my time off.

WE get 12wks paid mat leave & as I said above I had approx 12wks annual leave too, so for my 6 months mat leave I was pretty much fully paid!
    But having only been in our home 10 months when I had Indah I decided 6 months off work with full pay & now my family have Indah was best for us...
    How I wish money wasnt important in life!!!

Good Luck Kell.... do whatever suits you!!!

I envy all of you who have paid maternity leave!
    Ahh well.. thats ok.. i know ill be better off out of this place even just for the stress issue.. probably going through this made up my mind to do that.. everything happens for a reason!

Wow thats a really good idea Kate, thanks. I might suggest that over the next week or so.. dont think its a good idea at the moment as the other girl who does my job just resigned today and with now the both of us leaving, theyre going to be pretty frantic.. haha.. i shouldnt laugh but after the way ive been treated i cant help myself

Kirsty77 Guest

Owww thats karma for them Kell!!hehehe

That is a great idea Kate!