Thread: Annual Leave

Default Annual Leave

Hi Ladies

Just a quick couple of questions.

Does anyone know if i can take annual leave and then start my maternity leave?

Also whilst on maternity leave, do you still accrue annual leave?

Thanks

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

In my case, I was required to use all my leave entitlements prior to going on maternity leave, and I only accrued annual leave while on paid maternity leave. I don't know if every employer has the same requirements though.

The company I worked for was a family business. They paid out my annual leave and I started Maternity leave straight away. We did this as I was up front and said there was a high chance I wouldn't be returning. As far as I'm aware you don't accrure Annual leave whilst on Maternity leave.

I need to take my annual leave before my mat leave starts. I think I acrue leave while I am on paid leave only. But it possibly differs by employer??
    By the way Nikbrad your bubba is due on my bday!

i've been doing a little research at work, and i think a lot of it comes down to individual employer/agreement

if memory serves, with mine i can take the annual leave before mat leave kicks in - and the time that i'm on paid mat leave counts as "service" and allows me to accrue leave - we can also return anywhere after 6 weeks up to 12 months - and if we return after a shorter period (say six months) and find that we're not dealing ok or whatever, we can take the balance of the 52 weeks of unpaid mat leave.

We can take our annual leave at either end of our mat leave and whilst on PAID mat leave, we continue to accrue annual leave - for this reason all the girls at my work take their annual leave at the end of their mat leave...

Mines the ame as MG's!!!

At my work I have to take .my maternity leave first, and use all of it before I can take any other leave types.

I continue to accrue annual leave during period of paid leave (maternity, LSL, annual etc), but if its leave on half pay then I'd accrue half my leave entitlements etc, its pro-rata.

Thanks ladies.

All very helpful. I have decided to take my annual leave first, then maternity leave.

I wasnt allowed to take my annual leave and then start my maternity leave. They told me that would mean I'd be starting my maternity leave AFTER Claire was born and they wouldnt allow me to do it that way... even though i'd be on AL beforehand so I wouldnt be at work anyway.... They did however pay all my annual leave plus loading to me the day I started my maternity leave.... so I cant even take the annual leave when my maternity leave is up! lame!!!
    I dont accrue any leave while on maternity leave - my mat leave is unpaid.

You cannot be forced to take your annual leave, but if you do, you can only take it BEFORE your maternity leave, not during. You can accrue leave during paid annual leave, long service leave, or maternity leave, however you will not accrue it during unpaid maternity leave (unless your company has a policy to this effect).

Don't take annual leave unless you want to,

At my work you get 6 weeks paid maternity leave, can have whatever annual leave you have accrued and if you are entitled to it use your long service leave as well. My ten years comes up May 2008 so I may get to use that yet.

With my work you could take annual leave before the baby was born or after your maternity leave ended . Maternity leave had to start the day the baby was born and end 12months to the day after. My company also allows us to take a leave of absence at the end of our maternity leave if we want extra time off .