Thread: Anyone else sharing care with DH?

Default Anyone else sharing care with DH?

Currently I am on maternity leave and DH is working from home 2 days a week so he can spend time with Tamsin too. Once I finish maternity leave DH and I are both planning to work only 3 days a week, so we can each look after Tamsin on the other 2 days (we're looking at putting her in day care for the one day a week when we're both working). Has anyone else done anything like this? How did it work out for you?

My Bro & SIL have this exact same arrangement, except my mum has the baby on the day they are both working. It seems to work out fine for them, they are earning slightly more than 1 full time wage ( my brother is still at uni, but gets paid to take tutorials). My Niece is in her own environment 5 days a week, and she gets to spend equal amount of time with both her mum and her dad. If it is a situation that can work for you then I say go for it, it can only be of benifit to your daughter.

DH and I plan to share care - ideally we will both be home together for about 6 months and then I will go back part time, eventually to FT, while he is a FT Mr Mum. Here's hoping I don't get a case of wanting to stay at home FT and he doesn't go stir crazy!!

DH is full time at home with Amy and I spend from 5pm till she goes to bed which is from 7-9pm. Not really shared care but it is working for us. I am the one working full time.

I say if you can do it and afford it - go for it!

We were like that ourselves, both of us went part-time until DH was called back fulltime a few months later. I think its great that your baby will grow up knowing both parents.

It is hard leaving your baby but knowing they are with their dad makes all the difference.

Both DH & I work part time so share care. Actually DD gets 2 days with me, 1 with DH, 1 with nanna & 1 Day care. Though she is starting kindy so will no longer need day care.
    I think it works well, we all get our time with DD & I think it's good getting the different types of care.
    Tho only problem is house stuff. sometimes it's a question of who does what! And often things don't get done becaue you think the other has done it. Cooking & washing is pretty much organised but the house cleaning is blurred on who does what & what is expected of each other.

We have tried to set who does what but it does fall off a bit.

Good luck & make the most of it. I have enjoyed doing it. Thinking that we haven't got ahead financially over the time but have definately loved doing it.
    (That said too, I got offered a promotion today & are now considering FT next year)