Thread: Breastfeeding and work?

Default Breastfeeding and work?

I have a delema!
    After finally finishing my degree, I have seen a job advertised that I know I would like to apply for. Violet is only 11weeks old and fully breastfed... I am scared that if I apply for the job I'll get it and not want to leave my baby. Also I am scared a position like this may not come along again for a long time.
    Has anyone gone to work full time with a breastfeeding baby (especially fully breastfed)??

Tanya

Tanya,

I can't help you out with the breastfeeding issue (I worked from home when Olivia was BF, so it wasn't an issue) but in terms of the job and whether to apply, the easiest way to figure out what is right for you, IMHO, is to actually apply, and if you get the job, your heart will tell you if it is right for you and Violet? (Wheras if you don't apply, you may always wonder "what if" & have regrets?)

If you do go into FT work, where will you place Violet? Childcare/family day care?

The organisation that you are applying for.....are they family friendly? ie would it be reasonable to expect them to provide an enironment in which expressing was all OK and private etc?

How much expressing have you done to date? I found expressing much harder than actual BF.......much less milk when Olivia wasn't close to me, and a lot more boring and tiring, so bear this in mind..........

HTH...

Lucy,
    I am not sure about the family friendly company or not, something I will have to inquire about if I do apply and get an interview.
    As for the placement of Violet, if I do get into FT work... Wato and I have discussed it and he will stay home. I am not sure how he will go so I have even thought that maybe one day a week in child/day care.
    I am the same with expressing... but if my boobs are full I can get quite a bit out.

Great advise tho... you are totally right!! I suppose I should apply, even just for expierience in interview situations... I am nervous just thinking about it.

Tanya

I have heard of dads bringing bubs in for feeds with mums at work, do you think thats something your work would allow? And would travel to work be too far for DH? I wish we took on some european standards when it came to working BF'ing mums. I have heard of some places of employments where they have electric pumps at work for the women to use (bring your own attatchments) and my gf who used to live in denmark said she knew of places where the receptionists where trained in child care to look after babies/young children and kids were also welcome at some business meetings :shock: Wouldn't it be great to have a family oriented society like that?

Goodluck!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hmmm... that would be good Cailin... something else to ask about (bringing Violet in). We would have to move if I did get offered the position... so how close we would be I am unsure of at the moment.

Tanya

I have gone back to work when all my kids were 3 months old (necessity)
    and have BF til 14 and 18 months. between 30 -40 hrs a week, but it was Overnight , so as time went on I only didnt feed them myself for 1 feed But at the start it was 2 feeds I was away for! I expressed at work, and DH gave that to them the next night. Its descimination not to be given time and oppurtunity to express ? feed the baby, and If I didnt work overnight, I would probably see if the babe could be brought in for the feeds!
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!!

Tanya, I'd definitely be applying for the job. Don't bother telling them about bubs, as they probably WILL discriminate against you (and it's really really hard to prove). You and Wato will work it out.

I fully breastfed Alex for two months whilst I was working full time. It's hard (I'm not going to put icing on the cake for you) but not impossible. Make sure you buy a really really good expresso machine (breastpump). I got the medela double pump, half the pumping time.

Or if Wato can bring Violet in, that would be great too.

Best wishes.

Well I applied
    Like you say Lucy, if I don't apply I will always wonder.
    Div... I feel like I need to ask them about the way they work around my Breastfeeding... I know what you mean tho... hmmmm! Well if I get discrimated agaist I am not sure I would want to work there anyway! But I suppose they don't really need to know anyway... Surely they can't stop me from expressing, not sure about the feeding tho... can they say they don't allow it... Vanita, is it really discrimatory not to allow me?
    I feel like now I need to know my rights.

Tanya

Have a look for the antidiscrimination laws on breastfeeding.. From memory they have to give you time (not necessarily paid) and a location to pump, which is not a bathroom. They are also obliged to prove you with a way to store pumped milk (fridge).. I only read it a few months ago.. but im sure you can find it easy.. Maybe even the Australian Breastfeeding Association might be able to point you in the right direction? You could try emailing them..

otherwise, good luck

K

Tanya, they can't stop you from expressing or feeding (at least in Vic) unless there is a legal reason for them to do so (unsafe etc).

Go for it! Where is job based?

Thanx for the support Div . The job is at Healesville Sanctuary... I think this job would be a great way to get my foot in the door there.

Tanya

In my hazy memory I recall the provisions/policies that my old company had with regard to breastfeeding mothers....(this is from 2002, from an EPA) from a fairly "average" company:

~ Allowance of time to express (unpaid, but I always paid it!) ie morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea breaks.
    ~ A suitable room with a lock on the door but not a toilet (we used the sick room, as it had a bed, a chair, a sink and power points)
    ~ Fridge (employee was responsible to approprateily label the containers!)
    ~ Support and understanding (this is the ambiguous bit! As a TTC boss, I was always very sympathetic, but I am not so sure that this is universal!)

HTH.......

Well I received a letter about my application... I was usuccessful A bit disappointed to not even get an interview, bu tat the same time... reeealy relieved!!
    I am really glad I applied... thanks girls

Tanya