Thread: Childcare dilemma & whinge

Default Childcare dilemma & whinge

Well decided today to chase up the child care centres I am on waiting lists for. I am only looking for day per week, so I thought I would have heard something by now.

Anyway I am feeling really bummed, one place does have me listed even though I do remember calling I just don't remember exactly when, so it sounds as if I just missed a place. :mad: This place seems really nice and the staff are quite friendly.

Another I have only just put our name down with, as I worked out they were closer than I thought. (I am restricted by centres that are within walking distance). Well they seem really nice, they were happy to talk to me even though I had just dropped in, the staff all smiled at Maggie, it seemed like a nice place. So I am really kicking myself about not going on the waiting list sooner.

The third place, well I assume we are still on the waiting list, I can't confirm until next week. They were soooo rude about me dropping in, even though I remember when I first called up they said I could drop by at any time. The person I needed to talk to was looking after kids at the time, ok fine with that, but she could have been nicer about it. None of the staff even smiled at me or Maggie. When I left, I noticed one of the safety gates was broken, 2 of the staff coming back from their break at the time did not even look worried about it. So assuming I am still on the list, this will probably be the first place I will be offered, but I don't think I want it. I have an appointment next week, so I will see if things are different.

So feeling really down now, as I was starting to feel ok with the idea of Maggie being in care 1 day per week, now it looks as though it either wont happen, or I will not like the place. I am just really concerned as I put Maggie into occasional care once, I was called to collect her after 1 hour (I only had her booked in for 2!). So I want somewhere that is sympathetic to the fact she is not used to others caring for her.

I NEVER let them know if I am coming to check out a childcare centre. Don't put Maggie in unless you are 100% happy.
    I've dropped in on places that should be shut down too.

I think they take it for granted that childcare places are in such demand that they don't have to be nice or welcoming if you just drop in. There are definately some places that need to clean up their act. I agree with Lulu, don't put her anywhere unless you and Maggie are happy with it.

Thanks for the feedback. I will still go to the appointment and check it out, but my gut is saying no. I get the feeling they would not be very patient with Maggie.

Yes Astrid, go with your gut. I wasn't really looking for a childcare centre but had some time and just happened to call in to one I was always passing by. the girl on the desk was lovely and welcoming, the girls in the babies room were really nice and made a fuss about my little darling and she was having so much fun, she didn't want to leave. She was 14 months old and started there the next week 'cos it just felt right. Even though she has grown and moved through to her 3rd room there, all the staff in each room have always said good morning Jasmine, when she walks in the door.
    It really is very scary looking for childcare, with the recent stories re ABC on the TV.

mel79 Guest

hi good luck and i hope that you get Maggie in to a centre that you are happy with. Reguarding the centre who were rude i think that a prospective (hope its spelled right) parent should be spoken to when they turn up i worked in childcare before i had my daughter and when ever a parent came to look around the centres where i worked we were always polite and friendly if the person you needed to see was rude she was probably the director or supervisor then i wouldnt put my child into that centre as if you had any problems with everyday stuff she would be the person to talk to over the top of the group leader (room leader). Well i tought i would write and say that. Well good luck hope that you find somewhere that you are both happy with!!