Thread: childcare question

Default childcare question

Hi all,
    i'm preg with number one at the moment and been thinking about childcare when i return to work. Unfortunately I cannot get all set days or shifts and it will vary from week to week. I plan to do 3 shifts a week. One of these days can be a set day where my in-laws can do, (they can only do Thurs). My Dp will cover whatever day on the weekend I am rostered but my 3rd day could be any day of the week and I know with child care centres they only offer a set day. What other options are out there that aren't too costly? Its all new to me and I'm totally confused!

I had similar concerns. To be honest there aren't many options open for people who do shifts who don't work a regular roster. Can you ask your work for a regular day? I basically said to my work I couldn't do it unless I had a set day & they were happy to oblige! I was surprised because I didn't expect them too.

Christy- Thanks for your reply, I know I can't do that unfortunately as in the last few years there have been a number of staff having babies and wanting set shifts and they just couldn't do it. too much trouble caused with rest of staff.

oh thats awful... its not really fair, maybe speak to a few centres about occasional care, but I know the problem with occasional care is you don't know until the day that you want it if it is available or not. Good luck!

You could look into home based family daycare. I don't know if they have these sorts of programs in Melbourne, but basically the way it works is the carer looks after the children in their home and places are limited to 5 children. All the carers are qualified and have the first aid and get thoroughly checked out. In the town where I live I know of several Mums who work on a system like yours and they all have their regular carers and they just drop them around whenever they work IYKWIM? And the costs are rebatable too.

Hi Shell,

I'm not sure what you do but if you work for a hospital, some of them have child care centres in their buildings which are offered at a discounted rate to staff and I think some may even give priority to staff. St Vincent's and I think the Royal Melbourne have this facility. Otherwise, have you thought about a Nanny or baby sitter? There are some very reputable companies out there.

MG

Shell, Whereabouts in Melb are you?
    My sister is a nanny & has my daughter & a guy from works son at her place (he is 5 months) she has Indah 3 days (Mon, Tues & Fri) & guy from works son (Tues & Wed) but she is in Rowville & you can get a rebate from C/link thru her too as she is registered...
    Let me know if Rowville is in your area, as I could put you in touch with her, I think she could accomodate any day of the week....?

Good Luck... As I think occasional care is also more expensive!!

Family daycare is definitely an option, the scheme we are through in Brisbane caters for shift/rostered workers.
    Good luck

Thanks all for your replies.

Barley1- Rowville quite far from me but otherwise sounded good.

i have e-mailed local council about family day care. Seems like the best way for us to go. I was just told from them though that a spot isn't always gureenteed so need back up just in case. I don't have to put down on a waiting list through that until 2 months prior to requiring care.

Shell, be sure to chase them up too. Initially I was going to use family day care 3 days per week, they got me to fill in forms etc & I said when I was due back at work, they said no probs plenty of spaces, also I wanted to start atleast 1 week before I had to go back to work, so I was used to it etc.....
    Then my sis offered to swap her stuff around so she could have Indah... So that was fine, the council called me in March to offer me some days, I started back at work in Jan!!!! So luckily I didnt need them!

Good Luck!!!