Thread: On Dr. Phil now - Stay at Home Mums vs Working Mums

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default On Dr. Phil now - Stay at Home Mums vs Working Mums

Check it out as it might be interesting...

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

i missed it as we had someone coming round to buy our xbox.. was it good?

Lesley

Looks like I`ve missed it too.

Take Care

Deeanne

I had it on but was more a distraction for my mum really who is pretty sick atm. So I only caught bits and pieces of it while I was tending to things for her.

Love

I phoned DH at 12:35 when I read the post and he taped it for me. Thanks Kelly.

Gemma.

I didn't see it either... Did anybody else see it that could tell us about it?

I can let you know about 1/2 of it when I watch it. I'm sure someone watched it?

Gemma.

I would normally watch it but had an interview so only got the last 15 mins. By that stage I think it was mostly over :mad:

I just saw the last 10 minutes and was shocked at how narrow minded both sides were being. They were both quoting 'studie' that proved that the other sides children would end up with lower iq's if their parents were at work and that the kids whos parents stayed at home would end up resenting their mums etc. They both refused to even try to see that there as another opinion that may be right for different people. I wish I saw the whole thing

Im not a mum at all, but I can see that both sides definitely have their difficulties and teh decision to be one or the other is rarely taken lightly and just being a mum regardless of whether you SAH or work, is hard enough without having to be labelled or judged on what choices we make as to paid work or not.

And now I'll step off my :soapbox: !

Keen

jcm73 Guest

I didn't catch the show that day, but am a HUGE fan of Dr Phil and this particular show was a repeat from last year when I was a SAHM and never missed one...LOL!!

The gist of the debate was obviously which was better - SAHM or working mum. The SAHM's were all saying that they wanted the responsibility of raising their child(ren) and didn't want to send them to a day care centre for someone else to discipline them and teach them etc. They had the opinion that the working mums were selfish to go back to work and miss the important first years of their children's lives.

The working mum's had a HUGE misconception that SAHM's spend half their time at the hairdresser and the other half having manicures and shopping. This caused an outrage in the audience (which was split in half in their seating arrangements). There were actually people standing up abusing each other across the aisle. It was pretty funny.

The working mum's were saying that their children would be smarter than the SAHM's children because they would be able to afford to send them to private schools and college etc because they were working. They also basically thought that SAHM's did nothing.

Dr Phil set them straight and said that being a SAHM was the equivalent effort of 2 full time jobs and quoted studies that backed up his points etc.

The end result was an agree to disagree thing - seems to be the way with many American based talk shows. People just aren't going to change their minds even when presented with the evidence to back it up.

That's about all I can remember - its been a few months since I saw it, but being a fan (and also an appropriate topic for me at the time) I tried to remember most of it!