Thread: feeling let down

Default feeling let down

Hi all I am currently 16 weeks pregnant with bub number 3 . I have worked at my place of employment for 13 years now. I have gone through all my pregnancies with the same supervisior in the same work gang. Last year i was promoted to team leader and things have changed, I actually have a physical job, driving trucks, using chainsaws, wood chippers and working out doors all day, with no facilities close by, my problem is at this stage of my pregnancy i have normally been put into an office position or something less physical, but they are now talking about not moving me for another four weeks, I am having so much problems with heat, and baby putting pressure on my coxic bone.
    I dont know what to do?

am i being ungrateful?

Tan,

You need to look after yourself. I don't think you are being ungrateful. Sorry that your employer is not co-operating. I gather you work in a male dominated work place.

What is the reason for not moving you sooner, when they have in the past? Would a letter from your Dr help?

Good luck,
    TICKLISH

That's a shame considering they have been so helpful in the past. Maybe a quick meeting with your boss to remind/discuss with him/her how you feel. Or you could do something more obvious like asking for several toilet breaks for the day that will take approx 30 mins (or whatever time) for you to leave site, go find toilet and then return!! ha ha Just a thought - they might get the message then! Seriosuly though - talk to your boss - if they have been reasonable in past you would hope they would be now.

Check out the website for department of industrial relations in your state (I used the NSW one at my work, although it was before workchoices came in), because the booklet on the website contains information about Employer's obligations on this issue. I think you will find the situation is covered from an OH&S obligation to provide you with a safe work place. Do you have a OH&S Committee member to talk to? Otherwise call the Department of IR, Workcover or similar to see if they can provide you with information that might help you.
    Whilst you don't want to jepordize your job, health has to come first.
    Goodluck!

Thanks for all your replies, yes i work in a male dominant work place, infact i am the only female that works outside and have been for years.
    I went to see my Gp this week as my back has been very sore, he asked me if i do alot of bending and lifting, when i told him thats all my job involves, he told me to stop it, he has given me this week of and has asked me to speak to work, GP will supply a letter to work as well. I guess they will finally get the message this week.
    My supervisor seems to have put me in the too hard basket this time, half our work force has left or retired so he is short in numbers. I have decided that this longed for baby is more important then anything, DH and I tried 3 years for this one. So off to work I go to speak to them, I will take holidays until they find a suitable job.

Harsh I know but this baby is just too important to risk

You are not being ungrateful at all, they are being ungrateful to someone who has given them so many years of service!!!!
    Good luck with speaking to them, but common sense would have seen you in a more suitable role at this time, hopefully you can work something out!

Tan - you're not being selfish or ungrateful, you're just being a good parent for your baby even before its born. Enjoy your leave and I'm sending you wishes for a desk job!

Tan,
    I was in the same position in my workplace, although i wasnt using chainsaws and had only been there for 3 years,i was in a male dominated field and had to get the union involved just so i could have a chair at 7 months pregnant! Now a year on, i have just returned to work and they are no more family or woman friendly! So i suppose my choices are to either lump it or leave it. Which is wrong! Why should we be punished or viewed as less competent/capable the minute we become pregnant!? I acknowledge the percentage of men and women who dont think within a tiny box - thankyou, however it pains me to think that in 2008 we still dont have it right. We still dont have paid maternity leave and SOME companies/orgs dont understand or nurture the importance of family! Sorry to ramble and stray from the topic, however listening to your story, got me thinking and started the blood boiling! I wish you all the best in your negotiations, unfortunately for the company you work for, they dont really have any legal standing if you said you werent going to fulfill that role and wanted something with less risk physically.

Sanity has prevailed, as of next week i am in admin. I will be in an office with facilities and i get to choose my working hours.
    Thank godness for a female HR officer.
    Thank you all for your support , it meant alot to know I wasnt being un realistic.