Thread: a hard decision but I think the right one

Default a hard decision but I think the right one

Background: took 6 months leave without pay from a govt dept, DH was supposed to be transferred to Melbourne, due to a stuff-up by my DH's x-boss it didn't happen (he didn't want to put the verbal offer down on paper) - but as I'd already taken my leave, I took it as an opportunity to see what is out there in the "real world", with the view of maybe not going back to govt.

I got a new job at the start of this month - good career opportunities, money is the same (at the moment) and the hours are more.

DH & I want to start a family in the next 12 months. This new position only gives you 1 month paid maternity leave, whereas govt is 12 weeks full-pay or 24 weeks half pay.

DH & I came to the conclusion today that I will need to go back to my govt job at the end of my LWOP period. It is a pretty cushie job, but can be stressful at times, but I know I can take a step back and palm off some of my work when I fall pregnant - they've currently got 1 full time & 2 others doing my job - so at least they've realised my job is more than one persons worth.

I'm going to have to make the definite decision in about 4 months time, so that the paperwork can go into my old job, letting them know I'll be back in July.

DH & I want to be pregnant and have a family together, much as I love my new job - I'd rather the security (and the money) of maternity leave with my old job.

I've done the "pros" and "cons" list for both jobs and the old job far outweighs this new job.

Schaz, as a public servant myself, I understand. For me, the benefits of flexible working hours and maternity leave were a big bonus at this stage in my life. I think you've made the right choice.

yeh DH & I both think so too. He just wants me to be happy in whatever job I do, I just want the job security. I know before I fall pregnant if another great job comes up within govt I can apply for it, but I know I'm going to need the flexibility for when we start the IVF treatments, I can't see them in this "new" job allowing me time off during the day for tests, appts etc. Other bonus is that my old job is a 5 - 10 min drive (40min walk or I can use public transport) from home whereas this "new" job is a 30 min drive with no public transport.

Jenny Guest

Schaz,

Have you looked into what flexible work arrangements your new job can offer? I work for a private organisation (that pays 4 weeks maternity leave and then 4 weeks when you return) and I would not go back to Govt. Being private company, I know I can have very flexible work hours which I can suit around childcare and can work from home on some days if need be. This is worth so much to me. I have worked for Govt agencies before and I know that they cant be this flexible.

Just food for thought from another side. Also,really important that you enjoy your work so it wont feel like a chore and provides you with stimulation when you need yo get out and about.

Good luck

no they don't - they're really inflexible with their work hours. I'm talking about if you're not in by x time in the morning you have to justify your lateness - even if you are in the building before that time you must be at your desk and working at x time & you're expected to do upto 5 hours unpaid overtime a week.

With this job I'm getting paid $5k less a year than my govt job and working longer hours and longer travel time (which equates to more petrol costs & a grumpier me for having to be in traffic). I'm also peeved coz all the "benefits" that were used as a selling point for the job and an offset to the cut in pay are things I've actually got to pay for (except the parking).

There is no way with the starting hours that I'd be able to get a child to childcare - are there any open at 5am since that would be the time I'd have to drop the child off to get to work on time.

My govt job allowed me more flexibility - I used to work at home occasionally, I had a laptop, mobile & dial in access, so I could sit here with my phone from work forwarded to the mobile and doing my job and people were none the wiser, unless they physically came looking for me at my desk. Yeh I used to work long hours, but I also accrued bank time which gave me leave without having to take annual leave when I needed it.

That's what I've found too Schaz. The government jobs are very flexible and fantastic for women in their childbearing years. I certainly would not have had my job still had I remained in the field I was in prior to joining the public service.

I've just set up my return to work arrangements last week for example and my manager said I could choose exactly what days and how many hours. They simply could not be more accommodating.

Re paid maternity leave ... I had 12 weeks paid leave which I chose to take spread out over 24 weeks at half pay and that was brilliant. It has allowed me to have slightly more than a year off work (the rest is leave without pay) and I'm really happy about that. It has been great.

~Jane~ Guest

Schaz I think it sounds very sensible. I work in the private sector and am already getting mixed signals from my boss about my return to work plan which she has started to initiate.

It depends on the workplace in the private sector with flexibility. I was fine doing IVF as all my appointments were first thing in the morning but I got nothing but pain about taking days off for the actual procedure, which was most pleasant while I was actually on the program.

With paid mat leave, I have to be there for 2 years with them before being entitled to 6 weeks pay. Unfortunately I will have been there for 21 months when I take leave so I miss out but on the plus side I get my baby so I am not too stressed about it. With careful budgeting I have set up my own mat leave saving to fall back on while I am on paid leave.

I think you sound very smart thinking this all through before you get pregnant, it is a very wise move.