Thread: How early can you start maternity leave?

Default How early can you start maternity leave?

I've tried searching but couldn't find anything... I was just wondering if anyone knows legally what is the earliest you can start maternity leave?

First I was thinking of going on maternity leave at 36 weeks but now I think I might start earlier around 31/32 weeks.

TIA

Enchanted Guest

Don't quote me on this but I *think* you can start 6-8 weeks before your due date.

Dont quote me either, but I think you can start as soon as you like.
    But..... that will affect the date when you have to go back.
    ie. if you have a 12 month leave period, and you leave 3 months before your due date, you will be expected back when bubs is 9 months old.

I know girls who have finished work as early as 28 weeks.
    I finished at 32w with DD and it wasnt questioned at all.

Good luck!

Each business has its own policy - but they will be directed by a doctor. So if your doc says you need to start leave earlier and can give documentation, they should accept that?

Your employer has to give you 12 months unpaid leave without doubt, and as Leo was saying, you just work out how much time with bubs after the birth and how much pregnancy time off.

If you are super lucky enough to be getting paid leave, or you are arrangeing your holidays etc sround that time then there may be other things to consider- like the longer you work the more holiday or sick days you will have incrued for more maximum pay while you are not working. IYKWIM

I started maternity leave at 12 weeks, ohh sorry I took holidays that eventually ran out and then I took Mat leave. You can commence as early as you like but as an employer they only have to give you 12months unpaid leave.

I know of alot of women who have started maternity leave at 36 weeks.I have twin girls and I worked to 30 weeks.It depends on your health and the health of your baby and also company policy.

Company policy is the one I am aware of and generally it seems to be 36 weeks... Mine was 36 weeks but i got a doc cert to finish at 34 weeks which is MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY YAY YAY

I am part time and been there 2 years as at Feb and got 6 week paid leave the rest of 12 months unpaid..... With Jacob I only took 6 months as it was all unpaid.. and it was all in the 2 years I have been there!!! AWESOME company..

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!
    xoxoxoxo

Thanks for the replies girls...I've checked up our company policy and it looks like I can start at least 6 weeks before my due date. So if I wanted to work longer than 34 weeks I'd need a doctors note. It's a bit of a way off yet, but so far I am thinking of starting mat leave around 32-34 weeks.

Lyn - I'm starting leave at 36 weeks by choice. Our HR said, it's up to me really when to start, so if I felt it was getting too hard by 36weeks, just get a note from my doctor to say that I should stop working as of whichever date I want.
    Do you have the option of being able to work from home? If you can, you might be able to negotiate working from home a day or two a week if you feel too tired to get into work.

I have 2, and each time I finished 6weeks prior. Just had a note from the O n G to give your confinement date(sounds very old fashioned). I got 12weeks paid leave and took that at half pay which in effect gave me 6monts paid leave, then I used up my rec/holiday leave at half pay too. I also know people who also use there long service at half pay and get paid the whole 12months! We can also apply to have an extra year off so we could get 2years mat leave.
    If you are unwell and have a Dr's Cert to say it is not pregnancy related..I believe you can use your sick leave up until your official Mat Leave and then start Mat leave...had a friend do that as she had pueumonia. You should have a good read of your CA or AWA if you are on one or your HR person. IO also believe they should legally have Mat Leave or any leave or work conditions for that matter written down somewhere for you to view or on a work intranet without having to consult someone too (privacy).

Good Luck

Heather

aussie overseas Guest

I started 3 weeks before the due date. However, I worked from full-time to part-time during my last trimester.