Thread: Just started a new job ... when should I tell??

Unhappy Just started a new job ... when should I tell??

I just started a new job as a clinical nurse running a research clinic at my hospital covering the current person's maternity leave. I got my contract today and it states that I am employed until 30th October 2007, but if all goes well with this pregnancy I will need to take mat leave in the middle of June.

My 12 week mark is the 22nd December, and I guess my question is when should I tell them? I know that legally I only have to tell them 8 weeks before I want to take leave, but I think that I should obviously tell them before then. The clinic closes over Christmas, so I guess I was after some advice if anyone has been in my position before and what they did?

My boss in the other job knows, and basically she said to me that there can obviously be no prejudice towards me, and that they knew they were hiring a woman who was in her "childrearing stage" (said tongue in cheek!).

Any advice??

I told my work when I was about 12 weeks, but i only told my boss. I didnt tell all of them, but my boss ended up telling everyone anyway.

I think I'd tell them in the next few weeks, maybe before Xmas.. i think its something your employer does need to know.

I told the girls with whom I work, and then my boss, at about 9-10w. I told the nurses and girls I see around and about at about 13w. But I didn't officially tell work until about 20ish weeks when I applied for my Maternity Leave; at 14w they decided they were going to sack half of us and I wanted no prejudice at my interview, which was supposed to be in September. When that was pushed back, I knew I was getting too big and wanted to make sure I was paid my dues.

I'm still telling people now, it's really frustrating that they can't just see for themselves!

Anyway, you have a contract so they can't get rid of you now, but it may be worth mentioning it to people with whom you have close contact so you maybe running to the loo or yawning - or having antenatal appointments - can be explained easily. You don't have to tell the big bosses until later.

Kylie - congrats on the new job!
    One of the girls at work was going through contract negotiation when she first found out she was pregnant. Even though she has been at work for over a year, she decided NOT to tell work until her contract was finalised. When she announced her pregnancy, she was about 16 weeks. I work in health care and our work environment is potentially very violent (drug and alcohol clinic) and chose to tell my supervisor and boss at about 8 weeks but didn't make it public until I was about 17 weeks (I went off on holidays before I hit 12 weeks and didn't want to say anything until after 12 weeks). I had no problems and they were very excited for me - even though at my work these things come in 3's and the other two pregnant women are both from my department! The third girl wasn't going to say anything until she hit the 12 week mark but began to show (rather noticeably) at about 8 weeks and felt she couldn't hide it anymore.
    My advice is that you need to do what you feel comfortable with. For me it would depend on the kind of work you are going to be doing in this new role. I know you said it is research but it depends on what is involved for you. If you are concerned about your job security, they can not do anything if you have already signed your contract. Also, it seems that you have been at that hospital for over a year so your maternity leave entitlements should all still be in tact (but check with HR if you're worried).

HTH and good luck with your decision. Congrats again on the pregnancy and new job!

MG

I did not tell my boss until I was 4months pregnant and he was totally fine with that...I think it is up to you and is a very personal thing . Remember anyone leaving a company gives 4 weeks notice and even if you told them at 4months you are still giving them 5months notice ( assuming you take a month off before the birth)

Good Luck

If you're 12 weeks just before Christmas & you close over Christmas I'd tell them when you get back. Have a nice relaxing break & then deal with it afterwards.