Thread: Like work hate making her sick

Default Like work hate making her sick

Hi girls,
    As many of you know last week was the worse of many in my life, Eliza has been in daycare for the past 4 weeks and in those 4 weeks she has had chest infection resulting in being sent home for a temp and antibotics and staying away for a week also a runny nose which could be put down to teething eyeteeth x 4 but last Wednesday the director rang as Eliza was vomiting violently and didnt stop for 30 hrs resulting her being hospitalised for 5 days on nasal gastric tubed and IV's. Every child is special but she really is! I need to give work an answer when they call Mon or Tuesday, I hate thinking I am making her sick through my own selfish "me time".
    Does anyone have any miracle solutions or just tell me what I want to hear lol
    Bec

Unfortunately Bec most children who go into day care (be it early childhood or school) end up sick for *about* the first 12 months or until they develop an immunity to the normal child bugs that they happily swap and share (depending on the level of bugs exposed to pre-childcare). However in saying that she could just as easily pick up the same bugs going shopping or walking in the street (as most of the patients I deal with have).

My nephew spent the first 12months of childcare / preschool (he was 3) intermittently sick, however my niece has been sick far fewer times (she is 2 and has been going since 1 to childcare). She may have had her immunity boosted by her big brother though

Don't feel guilty about needing you time. It makes you better able to manage a beautiful and active little one and gives you an identity of you (not just you as wife / mum / butcher / baker / candlestick maker). She also started at the worst time for viruses (usually spring and autumn for gastro etc) and August seems to have another peak in viral respiratory tract infections too (this is coming from the woman who has picked up her own bug from the kind patients who like to share it around )

This probably hasn't helped but you aren't a bad mum for putting her into childcare to work.

Bec, my DS got sick for the first 2 months of so of day care. Poor thing had 3 different throat infections in that time. But he hasn't been sick since. He has been closely exposed to gastro 3 times, chest infections, throat infections you name it, he's been exposed and has not once got sick. I think being in day care (after the initial dose of illnesses) has boosted his immunity, and apparently the earlier this happens the better. My GP told me that if he didn't go to day care, he would get sick when he started kindy or school or whatever in the same way, but it's generally believed better for kids to get this immunity earlier. So hard as it is now, it is probably good for her in the long run. HTH, Melanie.

Matilda was sick for the first 5 months of day care & I moved her into family day care so I could continue working as well as keeping her healthier. She had 4 bouts of tonsilitis in that time as well as 5 ear infections. The Dr's were threatening tonsil removal and grommets but luckily I got her into family day care & she had one cold for the rest of the first year. This winter, she's had one sinus infection & has just caught tonsilitis, but thats tiny in comparison.

Aidyn also has been sick at least once per month since starting daycare (he goes there 2 days per week). I have heard its really to be expected though, and its actually good for their immune systems, as a year later they will only pick up a fraction of those bugs.
    Please don't feel guilty for her being in childcare if you need to work... the sickness WILL pass!

I hope the little darling is feeling better soon though... huge hugs to you both!

Bec,
    I was going to suggest Family Day care too. Less kids...
    I am lucky that my sister is a nanny & has indah for us 3 days a week & my Mum has her the other 2 days.
    My friends son has been hospitalised about 3 times in the last 4-5 mths from various things & he attends a large Child care centre, with LOTS & LOTS of kids.

My sister has Indah & a little boy Ashton (I work with his Daddy).

There are some things you just cant do to protect them from germs & eventually she will have an awesomely strong immune system, but until she does I guess she willget all the bugs spread around at day care!!!

I'd look for a Family Daycare place near you, just contact your local council... Or if your near Rowville (vic) I can put you in touch with my sister!??

Thanks girls it is nice to know that DD hasnt got a defective immune system and most kids get sick, I'm probably silly to pull her out now after what she has already been throu.
    I'm going to look into family daycare, sounds like a better option
    Bec

Oh Bec I so know how you feel! . Kaitlyn started daycare about 8weeks ago and has been sick the WHOLETIME!. This weekend was the first weekend she was actually not sick and she was like a different child.

I also feel guilty but have been told that no matter what age they start to interact more with children they are going to get this happening !.

I know it is so hard ..believe me I am also in the grips of it now....but once our girls are all settled in and over the sicknesses they will be running daycare I am sure!

Cass