Thread: Maternity Leave - need help!!!

Default Maternity Leave - need help!!!

At 12 wks pg I had a discussion with my boss and we agreed, or so I thought that I would do the following:
    -3 weeks annual leave prior to birth,
    -13 wks paid maternity leave from birth,
    - return to work full time, but have only a part time presence in the office 1 day a week plus extra days at month end (I'm a financial controller),
    -when baby turns 1 return to work full time with full time presence.

I put this all in writing on the 19 April. Long lead time for them.

Now, today he says that he doesn't think the full time with part time presence (mind you I promised full accountability and full 24 hr contact by phone, internet and come in when required).

Sh*t after all that I went through to have this baby, I certainly want to spend at least 12 months at home with him. Just like I did with DD. (Note: I work full time and DH is a SAHD).

Question is do I have a "leg to stand on" given that he has reneg? Also is there a 10wk rule regarding notice?????????

I honestly have no idea, but I'd let hiom know you thought that's what he had agreed too? Not sure whether you have 'a leg to stand on' as such though??? I dont know I really hope so, for your sake...
    Um, I think in our maternity leave work site agreement we have to let them know 10wks minimum of our intentions with maternity leave, but I ended up leaving a week earlier, but also 4 wks prior to returning I had to let them know what i wanted.

With next bubba I will ask to have 4 days at work instead of 5!

Good Luck!

Sheree, your boss sounds like a real male chauvanist pig. That's just not fair. If you have it on paper, signed? you should be able to do something. I'm not sure what, but there just has to be something.
    What was it that he changed his mind on? Was it the whole idea or just something in particular?

Sheree I can see both sides of this issue.

Firstly, the 10 week notice rule is that you have to give 10 weeks notice of your intention to take maternity leave - so you are in with plenty of time there.

Under legislation the only provision that your company has to make is that they keep you job available for you for 12 months. The only way this changes is if there is a specific policy in yoru workplace or a specific agreement like an AWA. 13 weeks is pretty generous if you are in the private sector. A lot of poeple in the private sector don't get anything at all.

With regard to the work from home agreement and his renegging. Difficult one. When you say you put it in writing - did this take the form of a request? I mean - did you write it or did they? I suspect that you don't have a leg to stand on with it.

Taking their point of view for a moment - if you are working from home it is their responsibility to provide you with a safe working environment which means that you have to meet certain OH&S regulations and any possible security or commercial information must be secure. If you have an accident is it their responsibility. Most employers would just see this as too much of a risk.

I don't agree with him being a pig. It sounds to me like your boss was actually trying to make you happy by agreeing to what you asked and then thought about the ramifications for the company afterwards. Not particularly smart but probably not evil.

I hope that you manage to sort it all out with them

Thanks for the help.
    I think my emotions are heightened because of my pg.
    I've decided to take 12 months off...

Sheree, you probably could even go into business for yourself if you liked. Is it something you'd consider?

Regards,

Mel

Mel - I probably will do some moonlighting at the end of the maternity leave and try to find out what my options are.