Thread: Maternity leave notice

Default Maternity leave notice

I am planning on putting in for my mat. leave in writing, even though I work for a small practice that wouldn't always worry about that sort of thing. I just like to cover myself!

Just wondering if anyone has a good template for a mat. leave notice letter. Not that I can't compose a letter (used to spend my working days doing it!), just want to make sure that I cover myself legally IYKWIM?

TIA!

spiddles Guest

Sorry don't have one. At my work it was 10 weeks notice and a signed letter from the doctor stating you are PG. On the maternity forms for work. I just had to fill in all my details and date of when I wanted time off to and from and sign a declaration that was the sole parent and wouldn't be looking for another job in the meantime *lol*

I don't have a good template, but I made sure I included in mine:
    - My intention to take leave
    - How long I wanted to take leave for/return to work date
    - When I was beginning my leave
    - How I would like my entitlements to be paid
    - A bit of a disclaimer line telling them that if there were any changes due to health concerns that I would give them as much notice as possible

Both my manager and the HR department seemed happy with that. I was also required to give 10 weeks notice of my intention to take leave, but only have to give four weeks notice of my dates.

I dont have a template either but in our HR Maternity Leave info it states that along with the above we must have a letter of confinement (so old fashioned!) from our care provider, that I will be the sole carer (so DH cant take paternity leave at the same time!) that I will not be doing any paid work with anyone else during my maternity leave)

This all had to be signed on a stat dec!

I did 2 letters.
    I gave this one a couple of months ago because they wanted 3 months notice of whether I was taking leave or resigning.

Dear --------

This letter is to advise you that I am pregnant and I intend to take maternity leave.

I will advise at a later time of the date I wish to commence my maternity leave.

Yours sincerely

blah blah blah

A couple of weeks ago I gave another one which basically said something like:

Dear -------

This letter is to advise you I am pregnant, and my baby is due around 11/03/07. I wish to take maternity leave from 16/02/07 for a period of approximately 6 months.

A letter from my doctor confirming my pregnancy and the baby's estimiated due date is attached.

yours sincerely

I stole these from the Industrial Relations website, and slightly reworded it.

My work wasnt too worried about it. All they really wanted was a letter to tell them the date I was leaving, and also to give them an idea of when I want to come back, and bubs due date of course. They also have a rule that I had to start leave 6 weeks prior to bubs due date (I think it is something to do with Workcover), but could work later if I had a medical certificate saying I was fit to do so, so I also had to get one of those and give it in to them also. They wanted a medical certificate saying I am pregnant anyway, whether or not I am working within the six weeks. I got a midwife to do this at one of my appointments.

Thanks so much everyone, esp. Karina!

No worries. Good luck sorting it all out. I hope they let you do what you want.

~Jane~ Guest

I haven't had to give work a letter, instead I need to fill in a form toward the end of the pregnancy. HR have booked a meeting for mid April to see how I am travelling and to confirm when I wish to take leave and then I meet them for an exit interview in case I don't come back. All in all they were very easy going about it all and have a system in place for it. The only thing they said was I would need a medical certificate to work past 34 weeks but I am planning on finishing up at the end of 33 weeks so no worries there.