Thread: New Job New Pregnancy

sissiewissie Guest

Default New Job New Pregnancy

I have been offered a fantastic job which i am due to start next wednesday trouble being i have found out this week i am 5 weeks along, this job offers free child care services and 4 weeks paid maternity leave im thinking of telling them in a week what should i do? ](*,)

Congrats on the new job.

How long is your probation period? Also I'd be finding out how long you have to be there before you are entitled to paid maternity leave & benefits.

Where I work you have to be here for 12 months before you are entitled to 12 weeks paid leave, if you are here a shorter period then you don't get it. Also probation is for 6 months for non-government people and 3 months for full-time government people.

Isnt probation for 3 months for most jobs? Mine have always been 3 months (not government jobs), but they should say the probation in your contract. most jobs you have to be there for 12 months before you can have paid maternity leave. Something to do with not being pregnant when you start the job or until your probation period ends.

I wouldnt think they would would tell you that you cant have the job because you are pregnant. Theyve already offered you the job, and i assume youve already accepted it? And you didnt know at that time that you were pregnant.

I think i'd just tell them. Its better that they know, i think.

Probabtion depends entirely on the job and the employer. Before the IR changes 3 months was normal, but could be longer if appropriate for the position (normally high management jobs). I really should look up what the new IR laws say. (thanks lil Johnnie for wasting my time and money studying now defunct legislation)

As for going to the new job or not, consider what one will be less stressful and more flexible with your pregnancy and maybe even which one is less travel to home and to appointments.

Congrats on the offer.