Thread: not sure what to do!!

Unhappy not sure what to do!!

HI.

I am 8wks and 6 days pregnant and didnt think i would yet be thinking about leaving work, but i am.

I work in a childcare centre that only employs 7 staff, and have known my boss since i was 10 so she has been great, I have not been there for a year until the end of january and there is no paid maternity leave, but there will be a position when im ready to come back. The thing is that the business is getting taken over, so at the moment we really dont know what is going to happen. Anyway, there is a lady who i work with, who has been really negative and rude about my pregnancy for the last few weeks, which is making it hard and putting added stress on me which isnt helping, I have tried to cope with it but its getting too stressful and im considering resigning. I have tried talking to her about it, even spoken to my boss but nothing changed. My biggest worry is how it will affect us financially, Dh said that we will be fine, and he would rather that i was not stressing and bubba and i stay healthy, but if i leave it will be soon, maybe mid febuary when i will be around 17 to 18wks, and i wont get another job being pregnant and im concerned as to whether this is too early, financially we will struggle, but we should be ok.

Sorry to ramble but i was just wondering what others opinions are. TIA
    JESSIKAH
    Last edited by tears_of_joy; December 20th, 2006 at 08:24 AM.

i think if you can afford it financially, then just do it.... i have hated my job and am on a contract, i had the option of finishing up november 30, and instead took another 2 month contact til the end of january.... now i am spitting chips and wishing i had of just finished up when i had the chance. i was worrying about the fact that i would have only been about 20 weeks pregnant or whatever, but really, who cares how far along you are? listen to your gut instinct, if you feel it is too much stress and not worth it, then maybe finish up early. i think no matter how much money is coming in, you are always able to cope and survive.... i have been working, but spending my money on the most silly things, new couches, new blinds for the house etc... if i wasn't working, we would have managed fine, i just wouldn't have frittered all my money away on things we didnt need.... if that makes any sense at all...

4 weeks and counting for me.... good luck with whatever you decide to to.

Hi Jessikah

Obviously it is up to you what you decide to do and whether you can afford to leave but why should you have to? If you leave, the (I'm going to call her the "bully" from here on in for want of a better word) has won and she will start with someone else. Bullies love winning so dont let her....winning just empowers them even more.

I am so suprised in this day and age of workplace harrassment that she is still getting away with this. It is your boss' responsibility to ensure there is no bullying in the workplace. If nothing changed after you spoke with her, then you need to speak with her again and again until she listens. Maybe your boss spoke with the bully and has just assumed that it ended. Talk to your boss again. You mention that she is a friend of yours so she should listen. If still nothing happens, then she is not doing her job properly. Not ever being in your shoes (thankfully) I'm sure there are several avenues available to you should your boss not resolve the problem. I suggest talking to her again so she knows the problem still exists.

This must be so difficult for you and your family , I'm sorry you are going through it and I hope everything works out well for you and bubs.

Jess, I would also raise it again with your boss, as you should never feel Bad or Bullied at work, especially for being pregnant! That's just wrong.. So maybe speak to your boss again & tell her how much it is affecting you.. Good Luck!!!

Jess i worked in childcare when i was first pregnant with Madison, and found it very hard at the end and finished up work at 33-34 weeks, i though how are we going to cope but we did, you will find things will work out, or have you thought about agency, so you could work 2 days a week for some money

Jess if you feel that yo should leave, then do it, although don't let someone else push you out, they have no right to do that. I am assuming that childcare is like teaching and they need relief staff sometimes, maybe if you dont want to work full time you could do some releif and then pick and choose when you work- you will still be able to earn some money but it will be a little less stressful as it is not everyday

The only thing i would encourage you to do, if you are concerned about finances and you are currently entitled to maternity leave, is to look into the rules regarding when you can leave. I had to leave early (at 16wks pregnant) due to severe morning sickness enhanced by the high-level stress of my job; and because I left so early I wasn't entitled to my maternity leave I had accrued. I know money is not the end of the earth and definitely my child & my own health will always be my first priority, but I lost out on about $5,000 and a guaranteed job after a year's break.

At the end of the day though, you need to do what's best for you & your child!