Thread: Now they need me...

Default Now they need me...

I do temp work for about 6 agencies, and finished my last assignment on December 1, with the exception of a few hours work the other night recounting votes in Melbourne. (I didn't hang around until the 4.30am or whenever finish!) All my agencies have me down as available, but there is no work they say because of Christmas. That's funny, I've worked the last few Christmas'....
    One agency lady even told me off for leaving one ongoing casual assignment (that was at night, not heaps of hours, and tricky to get to) for another with a different agency for two months (during the day, easy to get to, what I would rather be doing, and lots more money), and that since I was pregnant, she couldn't put me anywhere in case I fell over they wouldn't be covered by Workcover or whatever! Puh-lease!! So she basically told me off for being pregnant too!:mad:
    Then, when I started to explain why I had left and the basic idea of Workcover (that it didn't matter if I was pregnant or not), she couldn't hear me on my mobile anymore. That's funny, the five other people I had spent the last ten minutes talking to in that same spot could all hear me fine!
    And now, this morning, she rings me! One of the other places I worked at for her "are in dire straits" and really need me until Christmas. Bear in mind this is somewhere that fired my butt (as an ongoing casual) for being pregnant (though they never said), and because another woman in the call centre I worked next to complained because I was always interferring with her work. Try getting her to do her job correctly, and as her senior, it was my job to try and make sure she did things right! It was a courier company, and if you get the booking wrong, there's all sorts of hell to pay!
    Well, I didn't say yes immediately, as I don't have a car available for work, and next week I have to take and pick up my Man's son from school.
    And she asked me this morning how far along I am, and if I am really big? What sort of a question is that??? Hey, if I can't reach the keyboard sitting straight at the desk, I'll figure it out, just like every other pregnant woman who gets to work until they are nearly due, or are pretty big. I think I can still reach the keyboard, as I am not having to type this with my toes!
    She just makes me.....

Well I hope you told her to bugger off.....

I told her this morning that I would have to ring the Man and talk to him about what was happening with the Boy and school next week, and that I would get back to her. Nearly 5pm and I haven't rang her back yet. I wonder if she will get the message? Probably not, she never rings me back when I ask her to. The only way I actually got to talk to her the other day when she had a go at me, was because she answered the office phone, instead of having it filtered by the receptionist.

Remember people aren't allowed to discriminate against you when you are pregnant, even if you are casual/temp. People are not allowed to ask you questions about your family situation eg 'are you married', 'do you plan to have children' because those questions are not relevant to the job or work tasks. So, really she shouldn't be asking you how far along and how big you are - she should be stating the physical demands of the position and only asking if you will be able to meet those demands. You are well within your rights to refuse to answer personal questions like those. Maybe next time she asks them, ask her what physical demands/limitations there are in this role - so then you can say whether you are able to meet those or not. End of story!

Or ask her idf she's got a fat arse or not!!

I hate rude ppl, especially when I am preg!