Thread: nursing home work

Default nursing home work

Hiya ladies,
    Does or has anyone worked at a nursing home whilst pregnant and when did you stop work?
    I'm a pca at a high care nursing home and I'm 20 weeks today. There is no such thing as light duties for me...laundry is a lot of lifting, standing and folding (which I used to love but not sure how I'd go once I got bigger), and cleaning is out of the question as the mops are way too heavy. Kitchen starts earlier than the pca's (before 7!) so I wouldn't do that either.
    I am being careful with my lifting etc. and my peers are being even more careful (which can be quite annoying......ie: oh, don't lift that bedpan, you have to look after baby!) so I'm not overly worried.....just wondering what my limit will be.
    Thanks!

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, I was a PCA in a nursing home too. I didn't work there while I was pregnant. I couldn't work due to severe morning ( all day) sickness that lasted 32 weeks for me, lol. I am glad that I didn't work as I had to do alot of heavy lifting. The lifting machines can only help so much with getting a person in and out of bed and I found that I was pulling my back and shoulder muscles alot trying to help adjust people and bending over in the shower/bathing all the time. I could have changed my manual handling positions to suit pregnancy but for me I decided not to work. I think it's personnal choice though and what you feel comfortable doing. When you find that the lifting is getting to much for you, I would stop or speak to your boss about another position. I know that with the home I was at some of the women would work reduced hours as an assistant diversional therapist with the residents. Money plays a big part too. If you don't need the extra income then you have more options. Definately mention it to your dr or midwife and get their opinion.

Best of luck
    Sharon

I too was a PCA and I stopped at around 25wks as everytime I lifted, Kat would give me a swift Kick to tell me to give her her space back. I also found I just couldn't do as much lifting as I needed to do(which I felt was totally unfair to my collegues who didn't want me lifting etc), I was getting carpal tunnel and so achey and tired from it, not to mention I started swelling from being on my feet all day and ended up with PE by the end of the pgcy. Dh agreed with me stopping early so I did. I would recommend stopping once you start feeling it is not wise to work any longer. Your baby and body will let you know when that time is.....

I also think that just by posting in here, you are starting to get the signs that you should stop soon? Does that make sense? You are questioning your ability to continue the work and that to me indicates your body starting to tell you "enough"...

I would stop sooner rather than later, I worked 4 nights a week in a high level care nursing home, when pg with my twins, I thought I was invincible, and worked up to 32 weeks, They were born 9 days after I finished work. I worked 7 nights a fortnight with DD#3 and stopped work at 35 weeks ( It was only one right??) and she came 8 days after I stopped!! I now work at a hospital on a surgical low care ward, and I was working 3 nights a week and stopped at 33 weeks, and DS ( #4) stayed put til 3 days before his due date. I honestly think it was the heavy work load and the lifiting, that caused my first 3 kids to be prem.

Thanks for all your responses.....I think it will be wise to stop earlier than later now....spesh considering I haven't hurt my back yet and I'm still young!
    Darn, what to do when I quit though?! I guess I'll save that for another forum thread!

I agree with Katkins, stop when your body starts to say so, when you are feeling tired and achy, KWIM??

spreckemily Guest

Hi! I'm an ECA (I think that's the same thing as a PCA) in a high care nursing home. I have two more 6 hour shifts to go and I am off of maternity leave. Actually I think I'll be lucky to last out that far. I have constant lower back pain and sciatic pain through my hip and down my thigh. The pain turns my leg numb!!

I think our job is just not good for pregnant women!!!

Good luck and I agree with the other ladies. It just may be time to stop.

Just found out I have to be out by the 28 week mark. So far I'm going fine....and I found out that the kitchen staff start at 7 which is fine....so I might give that a shot until I get too big. No heavy lifting in kitchen....just a lot of toast and porridge to make!