Thread: Ok Career Change.......

Default Ok Career Change.......

Hi ladies, Might be a mid life crisis, but as it seems my current job & place of work will be closing within next 3-5 yrs & I really do not have a degree or any other formal traning including in the position I currently hold (I just assed my way in!?)
    I am starting to think now about my future job prospects & really am not wanting to go back to my previous jobs which were all in Supermarkets, as Deli Manager & then Meat Case Attendant/Manager! After having a career style job I think I need more & guess that now is a good time to start looking & planning if I wont have this job in 3-5 yrs time!
    Here are careers I have been considering.... Nursing, Teaching, Marketing &/or Hospitality Tourism...
    As we will return to Bali to live I want something I can take with me there & nursing would be great, I have been told by a few people that with a Full Time job now a baby on the way etc, I should not dream.... But I think I would manage, can anyone either in a similar role to any of these or anyone studying/has studied any of these advise in anyway! We have only been in our house about 8 months & I really need to be working to help pay house, but really don't want to be looking for any old job in 3-5 yrs once this place shuts!!

So I wanna start planning & organising ASAP.... ALL ADVICE is APPRECIATED!

Thanks to anyone who can put up with me & has read it all....

Hi Tracey,
    I worked full time and studied part time when I was single and had no other committments. That was difficult enough, it would be impossible with a family as well. But then again some men with families manage to work full time and study part time but I suspect they have a wife at home that does everything for them - so if your DH did everything at home including looking after the children, perhaps it would be an option.

I have several friends with children whom have managed to study and work, and raise afamily, yes its hard but can be done, good on you for wanting to give it a go!!!!
    Nursing as a career is very versatile, and fits in great with families. There is a 7 weeks course you can do to become a PCA ( personal Care Attendant) and a lot of people do that first, then work in nursing homes in the evening or on weekends, whilst going to school during the day.
    You need to decide wether you want to be a Division one nurse, or a division 2. In the old days Div 1's were called sisters. Their course is a 3 yr uni degree, A Div 2 was a nurse and the course is an 18 month uni degree. Of course Div 1's are the bosses and div 2's the workers, div 2's dont do medications, but thats about it.
    Like anything a lot of the uni work can be done at home, with a lot of the lectures shown over the internet.

All I can say is go for it. I helped my DH change careers 2 yrs ago, and yes I had to carry a slightly heavier load, but he's happy, and his income better, and the family is a tighter unit!!! Good luck,if you want any other info on nursing feel free to message me.

I have been studying full time apart from this year but i didnt have to work..my husband did. I found it to be alot of hard work but it can definately be done. Right now but with I would find things impossible as theres just not enough hours in the day. Goodluck with whatever you decide to do...having half completed my nursing degree but i can say i definately didnt find it a very family friendly degree. There are a lot of pracs to do away from home which for us just became too difficult to juggle around. Teaching however tends to work alot better around school hours. My husband is in his third year of his teaching degree... works full time and is also self employed nights (mobile dj work). He is currently completing the rest of his degree externally.

Goodluck

Jo

I have always studied, be it part time while working full-time or vice versa... when Matilda came the plan was to be working part-time again by the end of the first year and try to take on some part time study while I can.... I haven't even looked into the study yet... but I do plan too, as some uni's have day care facilities and special aide $$ for parents.

Just my 2 cents worth, but having worked in hospitality for a long long while in a previous life, as much as I love it, I know that for me the hours and conditions and pressure would not be condusive to a balanced family life.............

On the other hand, nursing seems to be a career that genuinely fits in well with family life.......

I wish you the very best of luck.....there is no doubt that studying & raising a family & making such changes will be tough, but really so worth it......

Tracey.... that doesn't mean you are leaving ...the chocolate factory!!! That would be awful

Christy, Unfortunately a lot of bigger International business's will move to Asia for the cheap labour! :-$ :-$
    So I'd like to have something to go to from here!

Speaking with inlwas & Dh, I will look at doing some First Aid courses when I am onj maternity leave, as in Bali (where we will eventually return to live) are not up to standard with First Aid courses, I guess I am really looking at something I can do here & when I move there, I cannot sit 24/7 in hubby's village without Western contact for the rest of my life.

I am lucky that DH will support any decision I make & also having parents live behind our house they are also happy to lend helping hands, I also have a close friend network that'd help with anything/s & also a sister I could call on whenever!

Thanks for all of your replies, I will start looking into different things whilst I am off work for 5-6 months on mat leave!!!

Thanks again...

Vanita, I might contact you to ask abit more Thanks!!!

No probs Tracey, anytime

Hi,
    at the moment I am still happy in my job, just knowing taht I pretty much assed my way into the position I have with no Qula's means leaving here I have No quals really! (As it seems it may close within next 3 years!)
    I am still looking & thinking, but at this stage it's all been pushed to back of mind... I start maternity leave in 4-5 wks so that's my aim!!!

Good Luck with whatever you decide!!!

I'm another one that is dying to get into the workforce... and I am also interested in nursing.
    I am going to apply this September for next years Nursing courses, and pray that I get in!
    I am only going to do it part time (as Aidyn is so young) which will stretch it out to 6 years (2 subjects per semester). But in 3.5 years Aidyn will be going to prep, so I can probably take on a fulltime load then...

Goodluck with whatever you decide to do girls!

Tracey, you may have arsed your way into the job at Choc factory, but you're still there, obviously doing it well. Don't underestimate the skills you already have.

What makes you happy? What do you like doing? You might as well be paid for doing some thing you love.

It's probably just as well there were no vacancies for a Pub Crawler when I was 21!!!