Thread: Pregnancy and Work

Tachi77 Guest

Default Pregnancy and Work

I found out last week that I am 5 weeks pregnant (6 weeks tomorrow). I haven’t told work (only my fiancé, mom and friend know). I was in the progress of looking for another position before I found out (about the pregnancy). I have been quite unhappy at my job for the last year or so. As you can imagine for a number of reasons I don’t care much for my current employer (100 staff) and will no advise them until I have to (when start showing maybe). They have decided to send us to do some software training (I am in admin) soon. I have a dilemma whether to go and do it for my own benefit or do they deserve to know so they can decide whether to send me. I feel I deserve it. What do you think? Your opinions welcomed.

Just go! enjoy the training.

as for telling them about the pregnancy, i don't think you are required to say anything until 10 weeks before you are due (although I think they may guess before then) unless there are safety issues for pregnant women in you place of employment. someone can correct me if i am wrong.

Hi Nancy,

I would go to the training.

At this stage, the fact that you are pregnant should be irrelevant to them. And they cannot discrirmate against you because you are pregnant.

If you feel you would benefit from the training and enjoy it, take the opportunity!

In cases like this, I hate to say it, but an employer usually considers thier employees simply as a "number" so take advantage whilst you can!

Tachi77 Guest

Thanks for the responses I was definately gonna go ahead do it for ME, in some ways I guess I felt bad for them, but stuff them, this training was way overdue!

Debbie Lee Guest

Congratulations on your pregnancy, Nancy. I am with the others - go do the training. They can't descriminate and you way aswell get the extra qualifications while you can (much harder to do with a baby, that's for sure!). Milk 'em for all they are worth!!!

I was on heaps of teams this year as a way to take on more responsibility know ing we were planning on starting a family.
    Take the training and relax.

I would go and do the trainng. They cant not let you go anyway, just because your pregnant. Plus the training might give you some different work to do which is good too.

DITTO to all the above and I read the same thing about giving ten weeks notice, ie: advising them at 30 weeks.

Barb.