Thread: Question for those in Education/teaching

Default Question for those in Education/teaching

Hi all,
    I work for the Department of Education in Victoria. I get school holidays off but my pay is spread over 12 months even though I don't work in hol's (48/52). I'm about to start my first cycle of clomid. If this results in pregnancy I would be due in early-mid February. My question then is, would I have to take my maternity leave at Christmas time, when I get school holidays for 6 weeks anyway, or can you start the maternity leave when school resumes in 2007, even if due date is 2 weeks away. Anyone know?
    TIA

Bethany I don't know if all states are the same or not, I work for Dept of Ed wa. and I dont actualley think that it makes much difference. However having said that it says in our award we can start maternity leave any time from 6 weeks before the birth untill 6 weeks after the birth of a child, so if that is true you should be able to start after the christmas break. If you are unsure check with the State Union they will have all the relavent information.

I was in the same boat - but i was at a independant school.

My bubbas were due in Feb, so I took maternity leave from the first day back at school so that i would get paid.

as it turned out, I had to finish work mid nov on doctors instructions, and had them in dec. To still keep my leave to start in feb, i used up all my sick pay, and when that ran out, I took leave without pay. That way I still got my holiday pay, as well as my maternity pay on top.

hope this helps

Thanks guys. You are correct. Leave can be started after the school holidays so if due in Feb, maternity leave can start in Feb (which means you'd basically get paid right up until the birth before having to take maternity leave.) Sooooo, we get success first time around on Clomid.