Thread: Really enjoying work when I didn't think I would!

Debbie Lee Guest

Default Really enjoying work when I didn't think I would!

I posted in here aaaaages ago (it must have been archived) about my fears about going back to work after Gabby was born and whether or not I could do it.
    Well, with Neil starting a new job and us having to move, I was kind of forced to go back to work! Neil will be a Plant Operator at a new Mineral Separation plant being built at the moment. Since June, he has been training for his job and is thus on a training wage (significantly less than what he will get once he's on shift). He is travelling to Hamilton (which is 2.5 hours away from Geelong) and staying there during the week which means I have had to go back to do emergency teaching to make up for the shortfall (as he has to pay some board to stay down there all week too).
    At first I was really reluctant and a little scared. Though my Mum is looking after Gabby, I still felt a bit funny about being away from her so much.
    However, it is working out really well. I only need to work 2-3 days a week to make up the shortfall so I'm not spending too much time away from Gab.
    It's been really nice being someone other than "Mum" for a while too. I have been getting a fair bit of work at my old school so I've had a chance to catch up with friends and talk about something other than babies. I've also got to catch up with my old students and see how they are going (as I really missed them once I left the school). The job has a lot of variety... one moment I can be in a Prep class, the next outside teaching grade 6 P.E. so I have been able to use my brain a little bit. I also don't have to go to all the horrible meetings and I get to skip all the politics that is involved when you work as a full time teacher!! So that's a bonus.

When we move, I intend on contacting a few of the local schools to pick up some work there. Neil will be on a rotating shift roster where he'll have 4-5 days off at a time so I will be able to work when he isn't working. Gab won't have to go in to care and will get to spend a heap of time with Daddy that she doesn't get to spend now.

So, yeah... it's working out quite well! Just thought I would share that as an update and also with those of you that, perhaps, are feeling a bit conflicted with returning to work etc.

Thanks, Debbie - I'll be jobhunting after Liebling is born (either because I've lost my job or because I'm not going back to the one they give me for longer than I have to) and it's great to hear that it can be done.

Yay for you for being able to do a job with no politics, something we all wish for!

That's great Debbie! Thanks so much for sharing, I'm actually keen to go back to work part-time when the time comes and it's reassuring to hear that other people aren't finding it too difficult

Deb, that's great that you are enjoying work. As important as it is being Mum, it's great to get out and be someone else for a while too. Just so you don't loose your identity, iykwim.

So jealous. It was the plan for me to go back NOW.......but obviously fate (in the form of B3 stepped in!) so the "Lucy return to work" plan is postponed till around Jan 2008.......seems SO far away!)

Debbie....I am really glad to see you relishing being back.....gives a nice balance to your identyity?

Hey Debbie, I felt the same. I was scared of going back to work, but now I am doing it I don't mind it at all. I really wondered how I was going to fit it in and cope with Maggie in child care.

I have only just started 1 day (well 5 hours) a week, with the odd extra hours here and there. It is my own business, so I don't have to deal with the office politics, if I don't like the work the I just find another client.

I have really suprised myself and it is nice bringing in a bit of money, even if it is only a tiny amount.

Debbie Lee Guest

Astrid - that's great that you are coping better than you thought you would. Flexibility in our jobs is the key to surviving, I reckon. I don't think I'd be able to cope with a FT job... so casual or part time (or working at home with flexible hours) really helps!

Lucy - nothin' like another bub to throw a spanner in the works, hey? And, I guess... with the more kids you have, the harder it is to return to work. Fair enough tho!! One is hard enough!

Trish - yep.... it's nice to have an identity apart from Mum. I also make a concerted effort when working to not just talk about Gab (though it's hard). I was telling everyone about the slow cooker the other day and I think I managed to convert some people!! (they were oggling my chicken casserole, LOL).

Suz - good luck when the time comes for you to head back to work again. Just one foot in front of the other and you get there eventually

Fletch - ya clever girl finding my old thread! I don't blame you for being freaked out about returning to work. I think only fellow teachers (and perhaps teacher's aides) know just how hard the job is and the lonnnnnng hours involved so it's hard to imagine doing it with a bubby at home aswell!! Have you thought about just doing the odd day here and there with your old school? I know that going back to my old school was great... already knew the staff and most of the kids so I didn't have to sit there like a bump on a log at lunchtimes, LOL.

Ryn - good luck with the job hunting. Just make sure you're ready to take that step and (if possible) find a job that's a little flexible jic!

Debbie Lee Guest

Awww @ only having 80 kids at the school. The little schools are the friendliest from my experience. I'm sure you'll get another opportunity. Once you go back and get past that first day, it's not so bad. It's just all the anticipation etc. that builds up that kind of freaks you out a bit.
    Urrgh... pressure to go back to work is UNbelievable!! It's like it's all anyone ever wants to know about. Once your baby hits an age where it looks like you might be coping, straight away they start; "So, are you going back to work?". Then you get the others that try to make you feel bad when you DO go back to work. OMG!
    I don't mind if a fellow Mum asks about it (uno... like on here where we share out thoughts etc.) It's when someone else asks about it as if they are saying; "It's high time you headed back to work and contributed to this society!". Drives ya naa-naas!!

Debbie Lee Guest

I have no idea... I guess that's just the nature of the job... to try and please everyone and never ourselves

IMO... if you are happy at home and are ok financially, then why the hell not stay home?? It's your right and it sure as hek won't hurt Zane so bully to everyone that is putting pressure on you!

I can tell you honestly, if I didnt HAVE to work, I damn well wouldnt....

Unfortunately not so lucky, I work, I actually enjoy my job I guess it's hard to hate Chocolate!?
    I miss my babies more than anything else in the world & they do come first, before my job, but I do HAVE to work..

But I'd prefer to be at home!!!!

Good on you Deb! Lucky you Sis!!!!

I'm so glad that it's worked out for you Debbie, and that you're getting so much out of a 'forced' situation.

Fletch - you're gonna have a successful WAHM business, so you wont have to go back, honey!

Thanks Debbie for sharing your story. Since DH lost his job this week and I have to go beck to work now part time I have been freaking out. As you know i have a job interview on Monday and I have been trying to mentally prepare myself,

DD is one now and DH will be looking after her whilst he works on his business from home.

Thanks so much You really dont know how much your story means to my spirit that was broken this week.

Debbie Lee Guest

Awww no worries, Bek I'm sorry you have been forced to go back to work. I hope it can be a positive experience for you.