Thread: Resume help please!

Default Resume help please!

What should I put on my resume in regards to pregnancy?? I currently have it listed under my availability as a "Medical disclosure": currently pregnant with a due date in late october 07 is that enough? Do I need to state that i may need to sit down a lot and have access to water etc at all times or should they know how to deal with pregnant ppl? Supposedly they are desperate for staff and the assistant manager wanted to take me straight to the manager but i didnt just happen to have a resume in my handbag lol i gave up looking for a job months ago after a year and a half!

What am I legally obligated to tell them? I want to make it clear I do get dizzy I dont want to pass out while Im working from lack of proper support

Any advise is GREATLY appreciated Im just fixing up my resume now I said I would be back this arvo

I wouldn't put it in your resume, and just tell them when you get in there. That way, you can ask them questions and they can ask you questions. That's what i would do anyway.

I have a background in HR and i wouldnt do it on your resume, its not a legal requirment to even tell them at this stage is that you are pregnant, there is no need to say you get dizzy etc....

aslong as someone knows you are pregnant they should be able to address any issues you may have properly with their first aid officer etc...

Good luck with the job let us know how you go..

Thanks I rung my parents dad thinks im stupid to tell them till the 14wks but it would be in the middle of probation and may get annoyed I didn't tell them before hiring, I think its not only courtsey but safety as well. Mum thinks I should outline every little tiny demand I have lol, got to love parents. I told the assistant manager "I doubt anyone would give a pregnant chick a job" and he said "why not?" and I went "well you wouldn't give me one before when I wasn't!" he laughed and said to just bring in a resume and mention it but if its in writing on my application they can't turn around and say I never told them.

Well it seems like they do need someone i still wouldnt put it on my resume i would discuss it in the interview hun.. they cant not hire you coz you are pregnant - that is discrimination and you could have them on it.....

The other thing to remember too, is what would have happened anyway if you didn't find out you were pg until 10 or 12 weeks. Nothing they can do about it, but a resume is meant to highlight your working history, qualifications and your abilities, NOT whether you are pregnant or not. And seriously, would it really matter if it wasn't in writing. They can't sack you just coz you're pg...Just tell them when you get there.

yeah but you'd have to prove that was the reason they didnt hire you im assumingthat would be very hard to do?

I agree with the other ladies, don't put that you're pregnant, even on your resume. You can tell them when you feel comfortable - if that's when you you get an interview, or even after you've worked there a little while, but putting it on your resume will give them an easy excuse to just toss it on the NO pile before they've even seen you.

Thank you heaps for all your advise I think I'll leave it off and just tell them no matter what I do one parent will have the cranks lol I hope I get it its in the computer section of harvey norman can't imagine it would be all that stressful I know a reasonable amount about computers, well more than the guy there did and hes doing fine! lol

I've never heard of putting something like that on a resume. Its the same as saying you have a medical history of cold sores or athsma or something.

If you want to bring it up at the interview go for it, but there is no need to have it on a resume at all.

How's this for irony I'm going for a job in the computer section and I cant even get the damn printer to print my resume ahhhh!!!! LMAO

I think that unless it is a large company and depending on the job that iot is wrong to not tell them. Also I can totally understand people not getting a job whilst they are pregnant. As I said depending on the job. If it is something with high turnover and not much responsibility then fair enough but if it is something where they will have to go through this process again in 4 months then I do not think it's fair esp if it's a smaller company.

Hello CM, definitely do not put this on your resume!! they are not allowed to discriminate against you on the basis of your impending parenthood. Wait until you are in interview, and if you're showing they *might* ask you about your availability (time wise) but they are not allowed to ask you about your pregnancy per se.

Once they have actually made a job offer, you can then tell them.

Good luck!

I definitely wouldn't be putting it on there.

When I came back to Melbourne, I had over ten job interviews on the table before I came back. I then told them all I was six weeks pregnant and none of them wanted to follow through with the interview.

I did eventually find a job, but it was at a lot lesser salary and for a fixed term, ie until I was supposed to be seven months pregnant.

Unfortunately I then went on to miscarry.

So my advice to you would be: definitely do NOT tell them. You are not obligated to tell them. So don't do it.

And what did I do for a living?? I was a SOLICITOR.... yes that's right, the legal fraternity discriminates against PREGNANT WOMEN!

I woudlnt put it on your resume. It shouldnt be relevent to whether or not they do hire you. There are also certain OHS guidelines workplaces need to use if you are pregnant and they *should* be aware of those.