Thread: Returning From Mat Leave early?

Default Returning From Mat Leave early?

Hi Ladies,

At my work I am entitled to 12 months mat leave, 8 of which are paid. I have applied for (and been granted) the full 12 months but really want to be back in July. Does anyone know if I can go back early? Are their any legal reasons why I can't? I'm a little confused and worried... I think that for financial reasons I will HAVE to go back in July...

Thanks

MG

spreckemily Guest

Hi MG!!

Depending on each states legislation I think you must give so many weeks notice before you want to go back to work eg in Tassie I believe it is 8 weeks (not sure??)

Goodluck sweetie hope things are well in Vic.

MG, have they appointed someone to fill your position yet? I think from memory when I took mat leave, it is actually easier to apply for less leave and extend it than try to come back earlier. If they have not advertised your job yet, perhaps you could just tell them you only want until July and they can appoint someone until then and then you can extend it if you don't have to go back.

thanks Ladies. I was thinking something similar Anney... might call HR first thing... They haven't advertised yet. They're waiting until one of the other ladies goes I think. There are two of us going about 6 weeks apart and they want one person to fill the two jobs... we're both p/t.

Spreck - I thought the same as you. My EBA says 4 weeks before I want to go back I have to contact them... I guess I'll call HR in the am and see what they say!!! How's Matthew going? I've been meaning to email you for the past two weeks!

MG

MG, I want back early and work didnít mind at all. Why donít you tell them now if you know you are definitely going back? That way they can have more time for planning for your return.

I spoke to HR today and they told me that I can't go back early if I feel ready early because they have to contract someone to replace me. So I have had to alter my leave form NOW and it should be fine. It's just a matter of whether or not the manager will sign off on it. So I have requested until July and if I want to extend it then I can. Apparently it is easier to extend a contract than shorten one. Oh well.... at least I found out now and not after I went on leave! And thank goodness they haven't started recruiting yet!

With my Co. I put down that I was having 6mths off & gave them my return date etc & still when I spoke to my boss a week or so before she said I needed to put it in writing which I then did & returned on the date I had initially said I'd return on & she still said I came back early!! But anyways sounds like you've got it all sorted anyways!!!