Thread: Returning to work & childcare

kerry Guest

Default Returning to work & childcare

Ok so I may be jumping the gun here, seeing as it wont be an issue until next year but what with waiting lists and things I really have to do stuff now...

Even though I want to be a SAHM, I know financially I will have to return to work 3-6 months after bubs is born. Now here is my problem. There is a lovely childcare centre 3 minutes drive from my work which will phone me when the baby needs a feed and my work will happily let me go down to bf. I will also get the luxury of 45 minute car trip with bubs each way to and from work.

DP does not want "other people raising our child" and as he works nights and I work days he thinks he should have the baby during the day. This would be cheaper but I worry about DP looking after a baby through the day. He usually sleeps from 5am until 2-3.30pm then gets up for work. I don't think this apprpriate for looking after a baby. DP complains that it is selfish of me to want to put baby in childcare, "when will I (he) get to spend time with bubs". I don't feel that he could manage the day to day care of the bub.

He has a valid arguement there but the same arguement works for me, when do I get to spend time with the baby, night timr, when (hopefully) the little treasure will be asleep.

Is it unreasonable to think the day care option is the better one available. I would not use either my mum or the MIL for childcare as I would not be comfortable leaving my child alone with either of them.

kerry it can't hurt to put your name down for 4 months now. Maybe for only 2-3 days a week. Obviously you would have to discuss this with DH but really you both won't know how things will work until you get there, and its best to cover all grounds. Maybe your bub will only have to be in for half days, but as long as you have your name down it will be good. Matilda's name is down at two centres I really like and family day care for 2-3 days a week, going to interview the family day care person today.

This is a tough one.

Liek Christy says, it is hard to know how you will both feel until you actually get there!

If it were me, I would get your name down now, just in case, and play it by ear as the time comes.

If your DP is going to look after bub, when is he going to sleep?!

kerry Guest

Lucy that's my question exactly. I also worry that he wont be able to do it because his way of looking after his son is to stay in bed all day while the son plays playstation. I don't think that would work with a baby.

Default Re: Returning to work & childcare

Quote Originally Posted by kerry
    Even though I want to be a SAHM, I know financially I will have to return to work 3-6 months after bubs is born. Now here is my problem. There is a lovely childcare centre 3 minutes drive from my work which will phone me when the baby needs a feed and my work will happily let me go down to bf.
    I didn't know this was possible. I'm so excited that my work will let me do this. Thanks for posting Kerry now I am very excited about this.

I don't think your partners should be upset by this. His suggestion isn't really practical.

kerry Guest

Dave's girl, I am very lucky with my employers. They have been very supportive and have organised a computer for home so that I can do some work from home. Unfortunately most of the work I need to do requires that I be in the office. They have said they have no issue with me leaving during work hours for feeds, especially as there is nowhere at work I could express in private.

The only concern I have about work is they say I am only entitled to 9 months maternity leave. I'm not sure if this is legal but as they are being so fantasatic about everything else I don't really want to rock the boat.