Thread: Sitting at home today.....got offered a $30p/hr job !

Default Sitting at home today.....got offered a $30p/hr job !

I left my govt job 18 months ago to be a SAHM and bring up my two girls. Love doing it, would never go back to work until the girls are at school....anyway, out of the blue, my old job rings me up today and they need someone for 2 months to cover whilst someone is away. I can pick my own hours/days, and its $30 per hour. Its the best, funnest place to work, and i was totally stoked, happy, BLOODY EXCITED, that they asked me.

Rang DH - he said 'mmm well that wont work!'
    I said "i wouldnt involve you, i would ask my mum and your mum and i would only work 4 hours a day for only 3 days ".
    "no, we've made a commitment, and my mum and your mum are busy".
    I hung up on him.(childish i know....)

DH is a shift worker - 4 days on, 4 days off. He has a motorcycle biz as a 2nd business and its the reason im a SAHM (extra income, we live pretty comfortably). I gave up work full time so
    a) i could have a 2nd baby
    b) he could devote all his spare time to the 2nd biz

All im asking for is 8 weeks (which wont even be that coz over xmas they are closed). I would only work 3 days, say from 10-2pm !! WHY IS HE BEING SO DIFFICULT? Far out, i feel like im trapped.
    Tell me this is too good an offer to refuse ????!!!!!!!!!

mbear, it certainly sounds like a good deal. Is there any way you could bounce it off your mum & MIL to see their feelings. Would DH be really PO'ed if you did that without discussing it further with him? I think it would do you the world of good, and the girls are certainly old enough to cope too.

Good luck.
    Last edited by wardygirl; October 18th, 2006 at 02:37 PM. Reason: typo. doh!

I think it's a fantastic opportunity too. Great money, great hours. What do you have to loose. Plus at this end of the year any extra $$ has got to be a good thing, right ??

MAybe give your mum a call and see how she would be to look after the girls for you. Atleast this way you wil know for sure that it's do able in regards to care for the girls. Either that or maybe you could look into family daycare for the time being.

Just got off phone to mum - she fine with it 'will work in when you need me, go for it honey'..Just DH - i will be doing it with his disapproval.

Hope you can sort something out with DH then hun.

GO mum for helping out though

MUMS RULE. Im going to do it. Seriously, what have i got to loose? The girls will be fine, bit of xtra cash as well as brain stimulation. DH attitude concerns me, thats all.....

MUMMY4LIFE is offline .: ~ Don't regret anything that ever made you smile ~ :.

Yes, it definately is too good to pass up. Perhaps sit down with DH and ask him to tell you all the reasons why he dissapproves, there may just be a compromise in there some where. I think his attitude about it is a male thing. He has obviously gotten use to being the family provider and by you returning to work, all be it a short time maybe treading on his ego. Hope it all works out.

mbear, that sounds like a fantastic job! Plus, if you turn this down then they may not offer you something like this again and so when your children are at school, taking the very odd part-time work now means they'll probably be more amenable to hiring you back later.

Plus, you could tell him that you're using some of the money for an extra-special Christmas pressie for him. And use it to get yourself some new underwear.

Mbear - that is a fantastic opportunity - I love being a mum - but like you needed a bit of brain stimulation - so i work 2 days 4 hours a day, my mum hascharlie it is great.
    Go for it!!!!!

I'd do it too, no harm done & the girls get to spend time with Grandma!!!

I agree tell him it can pay for... a nice romantic dinner, night out, a christmas surprise, stuff for the girls, towards.....???

mbear that is fantastic news! I really hope you go for it - hopefully you can get your DH to come around to the idea