Thread: Travelling to work

Default Travelling to work

HI Ladies,

Looking for a bit of advice. I currently work in Perth but live 2 1/2 hours away as my husband is in charge of the Police Station in a country town.

For the last 18 months I have been working in Perth Tuesday, Wed and Thursday and staying at my Mums then going back Thursday straight from work. I have been doing 6.30 to 4.30pm so I do approx 4 days work in 3 days.

I have now been offered a 6 month contract at the local shire. I am really confused as I'm not sure if it is just better now to stick it out at my current job ( been there 6 years) or take the move close to home. This new job would be 5 days a week but is a 2 min walk from home. They will allow me to take my sick days for any Ob appointments in Perth

I will take holidays which will go into my maternity leave so proably finish at about 30 weeks if I stay at my present job but was wondering how hard I will find the car travelling in the later part of my pregnancy? We will move back to Perth in 18 months time, but not sure if I would want to go back to my current job after having the baby.

Would love anyones advice, experience or opinions. ( Nice to get another perspective on a decision)

Thanks Girls !!

Hi Kristy
    I work in Perth and only travel from Warwick 20-40 mins depending on traffic. I am finding it difficult at the moment. I personally would take up the local position. But that is just my opinion. Best of luck for the pg too, congrats.

Hmmm. Tricky. i guess it depends on alot of things. As you said you don't think you want to go back there after you have bubs and i am guessing all that travelling will become tiring and more uncomfortable the further you are through the pg. If you like the sound of the new job maybe take that. They are willing to give you time off for your appointments and the contract will be up around the same time you had planned on leaving your current job. Once you have had bubs you may be able to do a bit of casual work for them when you feel ready before you move back to perth.
    Anyways that is my thoughts on it but all i can say is only you and DH can make the decision.