Thread: TTC while looking for a job

Default TTC while looking for a job

Ok, this may not make sense but...
    DH and I are currently TTC for #1 and I am looking for a job because the company I was working for went into administration about 4 weeks ago. My problem is that I feel uncomfortable about getting a job and then possibly having to tell them I'm pregnant 1-2 months after I get there, I really don't want to stuff anyone around but at the same time it could take ages for us to get PG. I would just feel so guilty 8-[

Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone else had this problem?
    Oh and if I am in a 3 month probationary period when I tell them can they sack me?

Thanks for your help

Hi Jen

Why the microphone in your avatar?

What sort of work do you do?

Perhaps you should continue to look for work eventhough you are TTC. You may fall pg really quick and probably do as much as you can where you are. But if TTC takes a while then go for the new job, it will give you a distraction from TTC and hopefully fulfill you.

I don't think that you can be sacked in the 3 month prob period, only if your work is substandard.

I'm an accountant so if I went on maternity leave after only starting at a job, then it wouldn't look good on my resume.......But everyone is different!

Jenn,
    Having worked for many years with various bosses, I don't think as workers we owe them anything!!!
    They don't really care about us, as long as the work is being done...
    If I were you I'd not tell them until after the 3 month probationary period.
    If you do fall pg during the first few months & have not been their 12 months, then usually they don't need to keep your job for you either...
    When my DH gopt his visa he took any job he could & for 3 months worked hard there & felt like he owed them something, but someone called & offered him work at almost $5 more per hour, at first he was too nervous to take it & put the current boss out, but when I eventually persuaded him to, the Boss was nice & said I don't blame you!
    I know my work would chuck us out if they had too...
    Don't feel guilty!!!

Yep there is certainly a need to look after yourself.

I was looking for a job when I was six weeks pregnant.

I was looking through agencies (that's where the work was) and told them that I was pregnant.

A lot of them were looking for people with about my level of experience, and I was the only one on the market at that time. I actually had a lot more experience than someone at my level because I had worked in the country for a few years.

But do you think I got a job offer? No. None of them were interested in a woman who was pregnant.

I ended up taking a low paid contract position.

In the end, I had a m/c at 14.5 weeks anyway. So if I hadn't have told the potential employers, I would have been fine.

However, I started looking for another job not long after the m/c because I didn't like the contract position. A number of the employers were still looking.

BUT!!! Although I was offered a number of positions, I refused to accept those who wouldn't consider me when I was pregnant.

So in the end, the employers were the losers.

The funny thing is - with all the anti-discrimination laws about...

I'm a lawyer!

Divvy

Thanks girls, you all have made me feel a lot better
    And Fletch I really will take your advice to heart!

Divvy, sorry but I had to laugh about all thos issues and you in the law profession! It is amazing that it still happens. But I'm really glad to see you stuck to your guns and didn't accept any offers from those who discriminated against you, working in that kind of business wouldn't be worth it. [-X

Jen, so why the micr?

Sorry Sherwils, missed that 8-[
    It is just a hobby. I took singing lessons for a couple of years and now it is just something I do that annoys the neighbours
    My last job was working with the CEO managing the legal & HR requirements of the company. Have no idea what I will be doing now... whatever I can find I guess

Jenn;

I know, it was quite ridiculous. But, as I said, it was their loss in the end!

I'm sure you'll find the right job. There are quite a few out there at the moment. I'm a bit of a fatalist so I know the right thing will happen for you.

All the best

Divvy