Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Up to 38 weeks?

Default Up to 38 weeks?

I've just decided to work part time up until 38 weeks. I feel confident with my decision as my hours will be 9am - 2pm which is perfect as I only really get tired in the afternoons. I am a bit worried though that it will suddenly hit me in a week or so? I really want to work (only part time) as I think I will be bored at home and we really need the money. Would love to hear from those who worked right up until their due date (I'll even consider this if I'm feeling fine) and how they felt. My biggest fear is being at work and going into labour, which is probably quite silly but I cant help worrying that I wont be relaxed at home when it does all start!

Jess

Pietta Guest

Hi Jessica,
    I cant comment on working but I know that at 36 weeks it just hit me and I was tired and i had sore hips and i was a very unhappy chappy. You may be fine but you will get REALLLY tired.

Good Luck sweet!

Hi Jessica,

I didn't work much beyond 32 weeks, because I was working on a project that involved construction sites (so there were safety issues) and also I am in the NT so the heat begain to really get to me.

However, I can understand you wanting to work up to your due date as far as you can, and those hours sound very accomodating.

Bear in mind that those last few weeks before baby arrives are tiring and a bit nervous and any time you do get to yourselves is well spent pampering each other!

My advice would be to play it by ear. Are your bosses accomodating? ie IF you decided it was all getting to much by 35 weeks, could you then finish up?

Vert best of luck.......

Dear Jessica;

I was planning to work up until 38 weeks. My employer was great with flexible hours and often sent me home when I looked sick.

However I was hospitalised with pre-eclampsia when I was 31 weeks, which meant that I didn't even get to work after that, because the hospital was in Melbourne and work (and DH) was in Shepparton! (200kms away)

However, in my new position, the girl who just left on maternity leave worked full time up until 38 weeks. She was great!

Regards;
    Divvy

Hey Divvy, I actually come from Kyabram near Shepparton....

I worked for as long as I could, can't remember exactly when but I found it hard at the end because of the weight and lack of sleep.

Hey Sherwils;

It's a lovely area and the fruit is just fantastic.

I was hospitalised at 31 weeks so didn't get to enjoy working right up to the end.

However the telephone lines between Shepparton and Monash Medical Centre were running hot!

Regards;

Divvy

Kara Guest

Hi Jessica,

I worked right through until halfway through my 38th week of pregnancy. I too was worried that I would be dead bored if I took a lot of time off before bub was due, and being my first, I thought he would be late, and then I would have more time to waste.

It did get tiring, due to some sleep problems (however, I did not have a pregnant bladder and only got up once a night) and I was soooo big. But I loved my job and therefore it was all bearable. The extra money also came in handy.

If you are feeling pretty good, fit and healthy, I'd say give it a go.

Kara

spiddles Guest

I worked full time up untill 38 weeks........was exhausting and some days my team leader would send me down to sick bay for a catnap. Was planning on having 2 weeks break and sleeping in and cleaning etc. Didnt quite work like that. Finished on the friday and waters broke the following wednesday.

carmen Guest

Hello

I worked up until 38 weeks in the office and then did a further few days at home and i was fine, i was glad to keep my mind busy.

the time that I spent before the birth sitting at home, I was really bored becuase you are so big that you can't really go anywhere and I found that I started really thinking about the labour.

Good luck with your decision

HI Jessica
    I worked to 37 weeks (teaching Prep children) with my 2nd. I was actually planning to go to 38 weeks but was too exhausted so I took a weeks sick leave.

With my 3rd I worked to the end of term 4, I was 32 weeks, but being Summer I couldn't have worked much longer as I was absolutely buggered.

Sometimes the work demands and hours and also driving time are the factors which will help you choose when to stop work and your body should also tell you
    Cheers Michelle

I worked up to about 38 .5 weeks. I liked going in to work because I just sat around all day & got paid to do so. If I was at home I would have been chacing DS #1 around all day & not getting paid to do so!

I'm hoping to work up until 38w as well, 8am - 4pm with an hour drive there & back. Luckily though I don't drive so can sleep in the car

On second thoughts I might not make it that far. Waaaay too hot, swollen & tired!

I am hoping to work until 38 weeks too. My boss asks me every week when I am planning to start maternity leave (I think seeing heavily pg women stresses him out, there is another at 33 weeks at work). Work is indoors in great conditions and they are flexible if I need time off. My boss recently had her baby and she was told to work 10am - 4pm, she was paid normal hours.

It is early days still and things might change...just reading Sarah's last post!

Gemma.

LOL I stopped working officially at 30 weeks and then I would go back and do a day or so for a few more weeks, I did puppy preschools until 38 weeks one night a week and by the end it was so hard to pick pups up off the ground or bend over to them...

Sorry Gemma didn't mean to scare you!! I'm still hanging in there, but will be cutting back to 4 days a week next week (I had 1 day off last week for my u/s and public holiday this week though).

I could probably manage it, but our office gets very very hot - we're in the middle of a warehouse & the doors have to be open for customers to come in.

Fire Fly Guest

I worked up to 38 weeks then went in every day after that when it suited me. I finished the day before she was born but i had such an easy pregnancy so i would have just been bored at home.
    Do whatever makes you comfortable. Just make sure you do rest up towards the end because you will need ALL your strength for labour.

KerrieT

Can I just say - I made it \/ 38weeks today & my last day at work was yesterday. It was tough towards the end, but I managed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast