Thread: What do you do about child care?

Default What do you do about child care?

I am looking for child care for my DD for one day per week, starting in a few months' time. I thought I had a place lined up at a very conveniently located child care centre, but now I'm not so sure Anyway, I'm looking into other options just in case, and wondering what experiences people have had with centres and also family day care. How far in advance did you set it up? And are you happy with the care? TIA!

Aidyn has *just* started at an ABC childcare centre this very week. I contacted them late last year (November?) to get put on the waiting list, and was offered a place for 5 days a week from the start of this year, however as soon as I got my uni timetable I was able to tell them that he only needs 2 days per week. I was pretty happy to get in so quick actually, as I expected the waiting list to be a lot longer.
    So far I am happy with the care there... they actually call me a few times a day to let me know how he is doing, and seem to be doing their best to make sure he is comfortable and happy. I have a few friends who have their kids in that centre that have recommended it (one of my friends used to work there herself) so I am pretty satisfied that he is being cared for really well.

I made calls to family daycare last year as well and put myself on the waiting list, but I still have not heard anything back.

Goodluck with getting a placement for the day you need Fenella!

Kirsty77 Guest

Gemma is also going to ABC childcare and I put her on the waiting list in december! She started on the 23rd of january and is in 3 days a week but 2 of those are just part of the day but I pay for a full day.I actually know most of the carers as my neice went there are now my other neice goes there as well.I highly recommend just dropping in and seeing how it all works and meeting the people who will be looking after you bub before you decide.Goodluck

Thanks Ambah and Kirsty, I have put her name down at a new ABC centre which I've just found near my place... Hopefully something will work out!

Hi - another hands up for ABC !

They were advertising in the middle of last year and I rang got Cait in on a Monday, could have had more days if I wanted.

The carers there are fantastic ! She really doesn't need to go this year, but until kinda gets going properly, she's still there. She loves going.

Barb.

Milo will be going to daycare 3 days a week in 2 weeks time.
    He's going to an ex-council run centre that we chose because my cousins daughter was very happy there, and the staff seemed fabulous when I visted. I was there a little over an hour, where the other centres I'd been to had me in and out in 15 minutes.

I think I would eventually prefer family daycare, but the wait lists can be really long, my firend waited 11 months to get in.

We have been very lucky, my MIL is a family daycare mum (has been doing it for 20 years) so DD goes to her two days per week (the rest of the time she is home with daddy). It's nice because she gets interaction with other kids her age and also grandma's attention
    We still have to go through the regular family daycare scheme, even though it's MIL, so the childcare benefit goes through properly. We had arranged with MIL and her daycare scheme for Emily to go to her while I was pregnant. Waiting lists really depend on where you live.
    If MIL could no longer take her, my preference would still be family daycare, especially for a baby.
    They are closely monitored and have to do activities with them during the day. It's nice for little ones to be in a family environment too I think.
    MIL has had quite a few kids over the years who have become almost like family - ones she had from 6wks until they started school. That can be difficult as they can get VERY attached being in such a small one-on-one situation, so when they move on that needs to be handled carefully.
    Good luck in your search!

Hi Fiona,

I am not sure where you are in Adelaide, but we use a local ABC centre as does my SIL and a couple of friends for their children.

I know that the ABC organisation sometimes gets a bad time in the press, but my personal experience with them has been fantastic.

When Olivia was in Darwin we used a commity based child care centre which was lovely, but since moving back to Adelaide have used ABC. I called them when we moved down (last April) and secured her a spot (for 2 days a week) straight away & she has been going there ever since and she loves it!

We have built a great rapport with her carers and the turn over of staff has been zero over the past year.

2 of her carers have also done babysitting for us here at home for both Olivia and Charlie, and they babysat for us for a whole heap of babies and children when we got married in the Hills last October.

Charlie is booked in to start one day a week from August as well: that is how totally comfortable I am with their level of care.

Just wanted to give you a positive ABC story (and if you are in the Eastern suberbs, let me know, and I will give you some recommendations!)