Thread: When did you stop work expecting your 2nd child?

Question When did you stop work expecting your 2nd child?

I only work partime (2 days a week) and have a 12 month old.
    As i approach the final 3 months in the pregnancy and i am thinking about when to stop work.

When did others stop or when do you think is an appropriate time to stop working (not talking financial reasons., from a well being point of view - keeping in mind i care full time for my 12 month old and work shifts that DH is home).

I worked to 37 weeks with DD and she was born at 39 so only had 2 weeks at home...

PP, with DS1 I stopped 4 weeks before his EDD and I got really bored. So I initially thought I'd take just 2 weeks off before DS2's EDD. But I was really tired and not well so changed my mind and planned to finish up 4 weeks before. As it turned out though, I missed what should have been my last 2 days of work with gastro, and then DS2 arrived early on what would have been my last day before maternity leave started (I would have had my last day but DS was born on a Monday and I didn't work Mondays, so the following day would have been my first day off). So I didn't actually get any time off and I really could have used it.

Having a nb and toddler is really, really tiring and hard work so I recommend you do allow yourself some time to rest before hand.

Thanks Mantaray
    Yes those are my thoughts. and you know from experience having 2 children 19 months apart.
    DD and Bub will be 16 months apart and i am thinking i need to relax leading up as it is going to be very full on.

I was thinking of stopping at 34 weeks but i might just see how i feel (the money is too good to knock back lol... )

I stopped at 32wks. I have a bad back and being a childcare worker it has been really hard, even only doing 2-3days a week. With DD I stopped at 35wks due to my back too. And yep, I would say that having this time with DD is sooo much more important than working at the moment even though we could do with the extra money. My babies will be the same age apart as yours, and I still see my DD as being such a baby. I don't want to take that from her just yet! She will have to grow up quickly enough in a few weeks.

Very True Kellieem!
    I want them to both be babies lol...

I work 2.5 days a week, and will be working up until 34 weeks. I am a teacher, and worked to 35 weeks with Izzy! Im counting down already! 1 1/2 weeks of holidays to go and 6 weeks of work! I am looking forward to getting those last minute bits and pieces organised and just spending time with iz because I know that I will be pretty time limited with her in the first few months of bub arriving! I have to work to 34 weeks to be eligible for my mat leave again!

I was working only two days a week & stopped going in at 38 weeks. DD was 10 days late & I was still doing work at home two days before she was born & then about a week after I came out of hospital.

I stopped work earlier than intended due to relocating to a new town. Think I was about 20 weeks. I am glad I did, it allowed me to get some rest amongst the moving and spend time with DD1. In the last 10 weeks my pelvis became unstable. Between my prenatal appointments, osteo appointments for my pelvis, playgroup, aba meetings, resting etc, I really had little time to do any paid work. It was actually a nice time for me.

now that work has rejected me for antenatal care/admission.... i might stop even earlier! lol

I'm planning on stopping at 32 weeks. I have oodles of Long Service Leave, Sick Leave and Annual Leave up my sleeve though so I might not even make it that far

I will be 37wks pregnant with #2 and my maternity leave starts on Wednesday. I feel like I could keep working for a few more weeks yet, but figure I best give myself some time out before bubs is due.

With DD I stopped at 36w working 3 days per week.

This time I am aiming for 36w too, but I am ready to finish now and am currently working 3.5 days per week. I am more tired this time around from having 2 kids to run around to school and daycare when I do work, and come weekends just wanna veg!

With DD2 I cut down on work & only did admin & puppy classes from 30 weeks. I went back to the cut down amount 1 week after she was born with a sling, but I didn't get back to working proper shifts until she was 4 months old.