Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When did you/are you taking Maternity leave?

Default When did you/are you taking Maternity leave?

Hi Ladies,

Just wondering how many weeks pregnant you were / or will be when you take maternity leave?

My boss is starting to ask me now so just wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks

Kristy

Last edited by Kristy D; October 24th, 2006 at 05:56 PM.

In UK law, you have to tell your boss before 25w (15w before the baby is due). So you still have another 3 weeks to make up your mind if it's the same for you!

I'm going at Christmas, last day 22nd December, which will give me about 6w before the baby arrives. That means I'm working up to 34w, but most people seem to leave about 30-32w: everything gets so much harder in the third trimester! I fully anticipate December being completely useless for me and work, but fingers crossed I'll be replacement-training so won't have to worry too much about running around.

CaughtGypsy Guest

For my first I worked up to one week before the due date. That was fine - we went over by eleven days. I think we may have gone that far over because I didn't stop soon enough and wasn't mentally prepared. If you are fit and healthy I would go as long as pos because I went insane when I did stop working.

This time around I have Christmas holidays tacked on the front and another one at home so it is very different. Definately no time to get bored!

If I had to do the first one over again, I would see if I could work part time toward the end to ease into not working. It IS a shock on the system after working full time for so long. I guess it depends on your work situation.

One thing I did that I really regret was take my mat leave full time. In my work, I had the option of full or part time for twice as long. I would opt for part time for twice as long now....

Hope it helps.

I think it also depends on what you do - if you find yourself being physically active at work then you will notice the difference in what you're capable of in the third trimester. My job is pretty much a desk job, but it is boring me senseless, so I'm going on leave at 36 weeks, theoretically giving me 4 weeks to parrrrrty!
    The law here is that you have to tell your boss you intend to take leave at least 10 weeks before you do. By law you only have to give your boss 4 weeks notice of the actual dates you intend to take the leave. It is recommended that you give it in writing and that you also supply a medical certificate (!!) confirming the pregnancy. LOL - I think that's a stupid rule, but there it is.

Hi Kristy. This is my first so i'm hoping that my plan works lol. I plan to start mat leave from 35-36 weeks assuming that i stay well. I will be taking the pay at half pay for double the time to keep a regular income coming in as long as possible. I am lucky that my work is accomodating me into alternative more pregnancy friendly duties which will enable me to keep working. If they weren't doing that i would be starting maternity leave very soon!

Firstbump Guest

Hi Kristy,

I am planning on working up to two weeks before my due date. I can work from home the last couple of weeks if I need to. I am concerned I might be a little ambitious, but at the moment thats the plan.

At the moment, I plan to work up until about 4 or 5 weeks before the due date. This will probably depend on how I am feeling at the time. Baby is due march, and Dec/Jan will be slow and boring at work for me, so hopefully not busy and stressful.
    My boss does not seem to be interested or concerned with when I take leave. I might change my mind closer to the date. I would really like to work as long as possible as I do not have any paid maternity leave available. Also, I think it depends on what your job actually is. I work in an adminstrative job, so I sit on my bum most of the day so the work is not strenuous or anything like that, and I get someone else to do the stuff I'm too lazy to do (filing, packing and moving archive boxes etc)

I plan to leave 1st Dec & i'm not due till 19th Feb. But my job involves alot of walking outside, so i want to leave before it gets to hot & to busy.

I left about 2months before my due date with my first pg because of the same reason.

Hi Kirsty,

I left work at 36 weeks. I had a desk job but I wanted time to just to relax and prepare final things. I really enjoyed the time off as I was quite tired by that time and really wasn't motivated to work any longer. I read books, slept when I felt like it, met friends for lunch etc.

For my second I think I will work as long as I can (I only work 3 days) because working is easier than running around after DS.

I'm due in mid feb and plan to work until the end of Jan (approx 2 weeks before my due date). I only work 2 days at the moment so I think I will be ok. Of course, it all depends on the weather and how I cope with it! I'm also staying that long because I am expecting a resignation which means I will have to train that replacement as well as my replacement before I can go.

MG
    Last edited by Mother Goose; October 26th, 2006 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Preggie mush brain

I plan to take off at least 6 weeks, preferably 8, so that would be about mid- the end of feb for me, since I'm due mid april. I am an early childhood teacher though so my job is a pretty full on, on my feet kind of job and since there are only two of us for 18 children aged 2-5, we are on the go all day. As well as that I am concerened about the heat in summer, since I feel it pretty badly even when I'm not pg.

Kellie

I stayed until 38 weeks although I wanted to stay another week but my OB wouldn't let me. Lucky because Amy came at 39 weeks to the day. Was paid 13 weeks maternity leave and had some holidays so I went back to work when Amy was 4 1/2 months. DH is a SAHD.

I'm hoping that my work will allow me to have 6-8 weeks for the due date. I don't feel like going to work now, I can only imagine how I'm going to feel in the 3rd trimester. I'd like to get the house baby proofed and get the room ready as well.

wow!! I was going to leave at 30 but now my boss has told me I have no job after the 22 week mark. I cant see anyone hiring a pregnant woman so I guess Ill be finished at 22 weeks.

kerry Guest

I worked 5-6 full days a week (desk job) up until 38w3d... thought I would have heaps of time to get everything ready for bubs arrival... alas she had plans of her own so I finished work on the Saturday and went into labour on the Monday night with Brigid finally making her appearance at 12.32am on the wednesday.

If I had the time over I would prob try and work until 35-6 weeks.

Hi Kristy,
    I am working up to 5 weeks before. Originally I was going to do an additional 2 more weeks but thought better of it just in case bubs comes early. Your body will tell you when enough is enough...obviously depending on the type of work you do. Check with your Human Resources department as they may need a certificate from your OB if you want to work after 6 weeks before your due date. Make sure your boss is looking after you!
    Take care....Bianca

Quote Originally Posted by Danni View Post
    wow!! I was going to leave at 30 but now my boss has told me I have no job after the 22 week mark. I cant see anyone hiring a pregnant woman so I guess Ill be finished at 22 weeks.
    Exactly the predicament I was nearly in, Danni! You can get still temp work without maternity pay if you so wish for the Sales and whatnot (you'll be about 22w just after Christmas, right?).

I do sort of wish that I was going to be at home from next week, I must admit, but we're now looking at it all changing in March so I'll be at home anyway!

With bub #1 I took maternity leave (well actually resigned because I was not eligible) at 36wks (BTW I had 3days off and bubba was born :-( not much of a rest) I had to tell them 10wks before I intended leaving and by the time I was 34wks I was completely OVER working and couldn't wait to leave just so tired and huge.

With this bubba we had some complications early on which coincided with my hubby's transfer so I had to leave work at 16wks. I am currently doing relief work (I'm a teacher) 1-2 days a week and loving it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast