Thread: When do I have to make the deicison to go on Maternity leave

kewpy Guest

Default When do I have to make the deicison to go on Maternity leave

I have just hit 19 weeks and my boss has not asked me when I wish to finish work. Obviously he is thinking I want to keep working till I am capable but do I have to tell him first or wait for him to ask me? I guess at 19 weeks, he is probably thinking to wait till it comes closer maybe.

Also I have no idea, I would ideally like to work till about the 36 week mark but not sure so want to play a wait and see approach but when do I have to make the decision by?

kewpy - you have to give your boss written notice - at least 10 weeks before you take maternity leave!

kewpy Guest

10 weeks notice, thanks

What happens if I give notice say I want to finish at 36 weeks but I get too tired and uncomfortable and wish to change it to say 34 weeks come closer to the time. What happens then?

I think you enter into discussions with your boss and/or get a Drs certificate etc!

kewpy Guest

thank you for that.

You have to give 10 weeks notice, like sherwils said, but if you thought you'd work til say 36 weeks but can't you can take it before then, it's just you can't keep working after you've said you want to take maternity leave.

Yep, 10 weeks notice is required, in writing, accompanied by a stat dec declaring your are pregnant or a letter from your OB/Dr.

If you want to finish up at 36 weeks, you need to give this in writing by 26 weeks. Beyond this, ie if you want to continue working after this date, you would have to negotiate with your employer: they often will allow it as long as they have a further Drs letter saying you are OK to continue working, and on file your 52 weeks parental leave entitlemement will be adjusted.

If you want to finish up earlier than 36 weeks, they must let you do so without penalty, and again adjust the 52 weeks to give you a new return date.

You should also check your specific terms and conditions of employment as well, as there may be other clauses specific to your workplace/workplace agreement/employment partnership agreement etc.

The award I'm paid under (which is a federal award) says that I have to give 10 weeks notice of my EDD accompanied by a medical certificate - but I only have to give 4 weeks notice of the actual date I expect to commence maternity leave and how much I intend to take....I have a fair bit of sick leave up my sleeve, so I'm going to probably leave at 36 weeks, and if I need additional time before then I'll use my sick leave entitlements (may as well use 'em!)...

sfischer Guest

With my first pregnancy my due date was supposed to be 25 September, I advised my employer that I would leave a month before that and did so. Unfortunately for me, my daughter came on the 7th, leaving me only with 10 days leave (but she also ensured that she was a nice 6 pounder rather than the promised 8).

So when you plan your leave, it may pay to calculate in early arrivals too.

I have also found out that I must be back in continuous employment for 12 months before I am eligible for maternity leave again. I found that in the workplace agreement at my place of employment. It's useful to know something like that when you have returned from mat leave and are planning another one.