Thread: When to tell them im Pregnant again - Im currently on Mat Leave

Default When to tell them im Pregnant again - Im currently on Mat Leave

Hi,

I am currently at the end of my maternity leave (coming up June) i have been working part time / maternity leave since 3 months after bubs was born...

Well im pregnant again and i am stressing... they have agreed to let me go bak 30 hours a week spread over 4 days .. 3 month trial of that arrangment when i go back in June to see if our business unit will cope with the down in hours...

I am feeling really scared and vunerable as if i tell them now im pregnant again im sacred they will restructur or something like that - there is anothe rperson doing my job fulltime .

When do i tell them - i feel like i should now but i know i have to look after myself and wait until i go back if i can hide it that long and then tell them..

Whats your opinion.
    Oh im 7 weeks pregnant now
    Last edited by meegm; March 18th, 2008 at 02:54 PM.

Hi there

First things first - could you get a copy of your maternity leave policy from HR - I know mine covers situations like this. Just get the info you need before you start stressing too much.

And congratulations!

Hmmm... I didn't quite understand if you are working at present or not and when the "3 month trial" started.

However, you are under no obligation to tell your employers early! I would definately wait until 12 weeks. Or you can wait even later. Remember to say you are happy to continue working part time during the pregnancy (assuming you are).

I'm not planning on telling my employer until maybe even 20 weeks after we conceive. (I'm pretty fat so I can hide it well I'm guessing). This is becuase of the end of my contract is coming up and I don't want me pregnancy to be an issue it in not being extended. I'm just going to say that we were waiting for the 20 week scan to check everything is okay (hence alluding to the fact that we might have been concerned for the baby's health and they can't aruge with that!). E

veryone's situation is different though and you have to gauge whether or not your boss would be annoyed or suspicious of you for not telling them earlier....

Ok - i am working part time at the moment but my original maternity leave is totally up in June im doing other tasks while the temp person is doing my original role ... i am returning to work part time to my original role 30 hours per week.. they are starting the 3 month trial on the part time hours arrangment when i return properly in June..

Sorry i may not have explained it propelry ive had a crap day..

He s also a new boss so i dont really know him that well... so he doent have any loyalty to me as my previous one did... not the best sitch - i probably wont be able to hide it that long coz i only had bubba 9 months ago and ive never really lost the belly and im already looking rounder... my original plan was to try wait until at least i go back before i tell them..

Definately wait until you are back in your old role before you tell them hun. That way they can't all of a sudden restructure and shift you out of your position. Tell them you have been eating alot of chocolate and man isn't it hard to shift baby weight - even though its been 9 mths! I have a similar problem in that I don't want my students parents knowing and I can tell they all just think I've stacked on the weight since having Isabelle.
    Good luck with it all and let us know how you go.

Im pretty sure in most cases you don't have to tell them your pregnant until 10 weeks before you plan to take maternity leave.